Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Writer Reveal | spicy writing

Hi everyone! 👋

Hi everyone! 👋

In honor of Wattcon 2022 happening tomorrow, which I'll be attending in person, I've made this very special writers reveal free! 🧡

Now, gather around sweet summer children and experienced smut readers alike for another writer reveal! This time I wanted to talk about spicy writing.

That's right. Get all your spicy emojis ready.

🥵🌶🔥🍆🐱💦🦋

I'm sure I'm leaving some out 🤣

I'm going to discuss why I choose to incorporate spicy scenes into books, my favorite spicy scenes to write, some recommendations for Wattpad writers who write outstanding spicy scenes, and my favorite traditionally published spicy authors.

To Spice or not to Spice 🌶

There is much debate amongst romance writers and readers about sex scenes in books. Everyone has an opinion about whether these scenes should fade to black or be written explicit AF. Or maybe fall somewhere in between. Some people don't like certain words in their spice, or certain actions.

For me, it's the C-U-Next-Time word. 👀 I mean, if it's a spicy scene and maybe there's a degradation kink going on and the female character is cool with it, I could be okay with it. But, in general, no.

I debate whether I like the word sex for describing 🐱 and 🍆. I used to hate it, now I'm kinda indifferent about it. But I certainly don't think it's...sexy. If that makes any sense.

Is there a spicy word you can't stand?

Then there's the ever-comical metaphors used to describe body parts instead of just naming the body part. Flesh orbs. Magic wand. Love juice. Those are just a giant, pulsating, no for me. No quivering members or juicy sausages pls.

I have many more opinions about spicy words and descriptions, but I'll save you the seminar. Just know that it's a topic romance writers think about and talk about A LOT.

Why I Choose Spice 🌶🌶🌶

So, why do I choose to incorporate explicit thoughts and scenes into my books?

Well, on a superficial level, the stories I'm trying to tell usually involve romance between consenting adults who both want to see each other naked. (I mean, come on, who doesn't want to see West Tenney naked at this point.) Sure, my characters want to get to know each other in a deeper way, but underneath, they are hot for each other.

Hormones aside, I believe as a writer I can show the deep emotional connection I believe comes with sex. I can show my characters growing in intimacy with their partners, demonstrate healthy sexual acts with consent and protection, and—of course—add some fun to the story.

You may be surprised to know I have not always been a spicy romance writer. In fact, it wasn't until I came to Wattpad that I discovered spicy writing was a thing.

The first book I read on Wattpad that had explicit sex was a romance between a cancer nurse and the father of a little girl with cancer, and holy shit, it blew the doors off my brain.

There was light BDSM, sex in a parking garage, use of toys. I was like WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!?

I think I binged that story faster than I've ever binged anything before. Unfortunately, that author left Wattpad otherwise I'd recommend it below, but damn! I had no idea people were writing spicy books, and it was like having my eyes opened wide to a new world of literature.

At first, I dabbled in spicy writing to see if it was something I was interested in doing. Spoiler alert: it was. And now, I'll never look back. I'll always write spicy fiction.

Favorite 🌶 Scenes to Write

First kisses. They are my hands down favorite scenes to write. I try to make them spicy in their own way. In my books, you won't find lips brushing and then we fade to the next chapter. No. When I write a kiss, you're getting a couple paragraphs of why this first kiss is HOT.

Power reversals. I love when the bossy character is pleasantly surprised to find their quiet partner is an absolute freak.

Unique locations. I mean, I know I'm writing contemporary fiction, but this is where I can add an element of fantasy to the story. I love to have the couple be somewhere else besides the bed.

Post-breakup-makeup sex. Is there anything better than your favorite characters overcoming their insecurities and the absolute bliss that follows?

Want more 🫦?

Looking for more authors who write outstanding spice? I got you covered.

Here on Wattpad:

amelierhys writes such great stories! They're everything you could want in a novel: humor, heart, and SPICE. Y'all, run don't walk to read her story, Alive at Night.

AveryKeelan is the queen of hockey romance. If you haven't picked up one of her books, definitely stop reading this chapter and go check out her writing. You'll laugh has much as you swoon.

CrystalAndFelicity this writing duo writes HOT paranormal romance that jumps off the page! Whether it's sexy brooding twins or a magical genie, you'll be falling in love with their heartfelt and hot stories.

(Side note: I encourage you to follow Crystal and Felicity on IG and tiktok for all their spicy romance recommendations. They do contemporary, paranormal, and fantasy.)

beautlies writes amazing contemporary romance with heart and spice. I'm currently in love with her ongoing project Land's End, which is marked mature. 🫦

Drop your recs here so we can all swoon along—->

Traditionally published:

Tessa Bailey is my hero. I love her books so much. The characters, the pacing, the spice. *sigh* it's perfection. You could literally pick up anyone of her books and fall in love. Her novellas are spicier than her full length books, in case you wanted to know 👀.

I also love Rosie Danan's book The Roommate. If you want to see how a porn star and a New England socialite get together, check that one out. 🌶🔥

Any traditionally published spicy books you'd like to recommend? —->

Well, thanks again for reading another writers reveal! I appreciate y'all following along with Dance Around It. We just hit 10k reads on the story, and I couldn't be more thankful to each and everyone one of you.

xx
AJ