Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

23 • The Audition

Ice cream almost erased the stomach-clenching jealousy I'd just experienced

Ice cream almost erased the stomach-clenching jealousy I'd just experienced. Almost.

After we had our ice cream cones in hand, West kept his promise to walk me to the B train. I tried not to let the three perky girls who had been pussy hypnotized by his dance moves bother me.

This was what it was like to have a crush you absolutely couldn't act on and, when you're crush used to be a stripper. If West was successful on Broadway, he'd have hordes of adoring fans who would want him to sign more than ice cream napkins.

I'm being stupid, I told myself as I licked my coffee ice cream. I'm better than this.

When we got to the station entrance, West and I both stopped. I wasn't quite sure how to say goodbye to him or if I even wanted to say goodbye. But here we were, caught in another awkward situation.

West popped the last bite of his sugar cone in his mouth, and I tried to hide my smile behind my own.

"Maren, there's something I've been meaning to tell you," West said, causing my grip on my ice cream cone to tighten. "Don't freak out," he immediately added. Likely in response to my bug eyes. "I'm not leaving your agency or anything like that."

I blew a fake breath of relief, trying to act unaffected. "For a second I thought you were going to push me down the subway stairs then post it online."

West chuckled in that deep laugh of his, and I couldn't help it. I started smiling too. His grin was so addictive. "Definitely wasn't planning on that. I'd have to kick my own ass. No, it's something else." He stopped laughing—a more serious look forming on his face, and the grin slipped from my lips too.

"Like what?" I asked, but secretly I was thinking, say something that will make me like you less. Please, for the love of god.

West sauntered to where I stood, and I drew in a breath, holding it like I was waiting for something to happen. When he was close enough to smell the scent of chocolate on his breath, a half smile formed on his face. I thought he was going to say something—there was a fraction of hesitation—but instead, West lifted a thumb to my mouth and swiped it across my lower lip.

Every nerve in my body fired at once—a sweet tingling sensation that lifted goosebumps on my arms. I wanted him to do it again. But this time, with his tongue. His long fingers tangled in strands of my hair.

"You had chocolate on your lip," West said in a thick, husky rasp before he sucked the chocolate off the tip of his thumb. Holding my gaze as he pulled it out. Pausing for just a second to sink his white teeth into his bottom lip. "But you're good now."

My breath fumbled. My heart skittered. The hot pull of desire stirred inside my belly.

I ran my tongue over the place his thumb had been, trying not to show how much I was enjoying the way he was staring at my lips. For a flash, I swore he wanted to kiss me. His head angled to one side, and his pupils were dark and wide. Pieces of hair falling in his eyes. Lips parted and wet.