SEVEN | his son

"It's not my fault. I didn't do this."

"Saying that makes you automatically guilty, Tony."

I step off the elevator with a heavy sigh as four agents follow behind, led by the very well known FBI Agent Tobias Fornell.

"Tobias." Gibbs looks up from his keyboard. "What's going on?"

"Gibbs, we're officially on shutdown." I move to Tony's side.

"Few months ago, they pulled a body out of the bay. P.D.'s had him on ice while they were tracking down a DNA match."

The director steps out of her office and makes her way down the open stairwell as Fornell proceeds with his reason.

"Yeah, and?"

"Body's been positively identified as René Benoit."

Unshockingly, Jenny speaks. "La Grenouille. He's dead?"

"Murdered." He confirms with a glance in her direction. "This entire unit is under investigation."

Along with the rest of the NCIS team, Fornell has an agent stationed in evidence lockup as the FBI conducts their investigation.

One by one, the number of interrogations grows as the agents, forensic specialist, and M.E.s are called out of the confined space.

"If you've been interviewed by Agent Fornell, you're free to go."

Tony tightens his grip around my shoulder while I drum my fingers against the top of my knee.

"And just to be clear. . .do not investigate this case."

Assistant director, and as of now acting director, Leon Vance slips a toothpick between his lips before exiting.

The moment the elevator doors shut, Abby lets out a breath of exasperation. "Ugh! That guy. He just, like, puts on a fancy suit and expects everyone to do everything he says."

"It is a pretty nice suit." Tony runs a hand through his hair, tugging at the strands.

"Come on, let's go." Gibbs waves over the dismissed ones. "Work to do."

"On what? We can't investigate the FBI's case."

"So we investigate the FBI."

Abby takes a handful cases from the evidence lockup back to her lab, but not before giving me a deck of cards.

"Another round?"

"We've played Slap Jack seventeen times already, and you've won each time."

"Maybe you'll win this round, Tony."

"Ms. Giudice."

The two of us look back to see Fornell standing with a case file. A breath leaves my parted lips as I turn back to Tony.

"Raincheck?"

"Raincheck."

He takes me up to one of the interrogation rooms and makes me sit opposite to him, a new perspective for myself.

"So, Tobias. . .do you think you could do me a favor and tell me where Area 51 is?"

This evokes a wry chuckle. "The director mentioned your humor. As well as your close relationship to each other."

"When my mom introduced her to me as my godmother, well. . .four-year-old me was expecting wings and a magic wand." I fold my hands together.

"I'm assuming the director personally selecting you for such a hefty undercover assignment wasn't one of your three wishes?" He cocks a brow.