Chapter 41: Picnic

Twelve years ago

Twelve years ago...

"Ready?" I looked up at Charles, who was standing next to me behind the closed door.

"It's going to be easy, isn't it?" I tried to hide my nervousness. "After all, I've been through it once."

"You were a child then. You'll be eighteen soon. It's going to be different. This time, they have to make sure you're fit to train in Finland. Higher league, bigger responsibilities."

"How long would I be there?"

"Official training takes a few months. But you? You'll be out of there in a few weeks."

"You say that as if it's certain I'll go there. I haven't passed all the tests yet."

"Trust me, you have nothing to worry about." He laughed. "They know how good you are. This is just a formality. But I advise you not to doubt yourself. They will see it in you."

That didn't calm me down much.

"Let's go." He said and reached out to the sensor next to the door, which immediately opened to reveal a huge room in front of us.

Charles walked in and I was on his heels. I automatically scanned the room, looking for any threat.

"Take it easy." Charles whispered as he led me to the tables of various weapons where the other girls and women were. "It's going to be a series of tests. I won't be able to help you, but you don't need me. You can handle it." He turned to me. "Go get ready and put on a show for them." He nodded his head behind me where a group of people were on the balcony.

I personally knew only Ada from them, but I also saw the faces of the others. Management.

Jocelyne West. Angelina Laurier. Elijah Caddel. Elisabeth Madden. Robert Stoll. Donald Carter.

Only one person was missing. Frederick Weber. The head of everything.

I had the honor to see him once. And he didn't look like I imagined him. A lot of people said he was a monster. Worse than the devil himself. And yet, he looked like an ordinary man.

"Show them everything you're capable of." I looked back at Charles.

"Is that everyone?" I asked, wondering why Frederik Weber wasn't here.

"Now yes." He raised his head back to the balcony, where there was suddenly one more person.

It was obvious he was looking at Charles. But then Frederik's gaze fell on me. He looked me over from head to toe and stopped at my face.

Without breaking our eye contact he said something and another pair of eyes started looking at me. Jocelyne West snorted and nodded at whatever Frederik said.