Chapter 7 Empty Inside

⚠️⚠️TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains self harm. If you're triggered by that, please don't read. Thank you. ⚠️⚠️
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"In that moment, Krushem was infinite."
____________________

Chapter 7 Empty Inside

Blood dripped down, filling in the grooves of the man's palm as he tightened his fist around the blade. The man's gaze roamed the room and pierced into Krushem as he sat at his desk with his other classmates.

Some of the boys around Krushem looked visibly sick as they watched their teacher's blood mark a path down his wrist.

"Now no girl will expect you to grab the blade like this," Professor Espada said, unperturbed by his injured hand. "If a girl is to try to stab you whilst you are in a vulnerable position, the best thing to do is the unexpected. Grab ahold of the blade and with your other hand reach up and grab her wrist to prevent yourself from being stabbed. Of course, magic is an option, but not all of you here got magic. So..."

Krushem saw the boy sitting beside him looking absolutely sickly. The boy's face was white as a sheet and he clutched his stomach as if he was gonna throw up.

Krushem saw something familiar in the boy. He had just been like that boy that first time Aric had forced him to torture Leroy. But a cut hand wasn't worse than two severed fingers, now was it?

Krushem knew Aric would not be pleased if he glimpsed this boy showing such visible signs of weakness. Krushem turned around in his seat to look at the spot Aric sat.

Aric had his boots propped up on the desk and instead of paying any attention to the lecture, he was leant back in his seat, toying with his dagger. 

Krushem stared, half hoping Aric would look at him.

When Aric did miraculously raise his violet gaze upwards as if he sensed he was being watched, Krushem felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end and his heart seemed to halt. He almost felt Aric's gaze bore into his soul, threatening to squeeze him to a pulp.

He opened his mouth to say something, to say anything, but the sudden screech of bats echoed in the room, signaling the end of the class.

Aric immediately seemed to lurch out of his seat and strolled out of the classroom before Krushem could even think to call him back. As Krushem rose from his seat too, he glimpsed Balleng and Armeq shuffling out too.

Professor Espada's class was the only class all four boys shared together. It was usually after Espada's class that the boys convened.

Krushem hurried after his fellow henchman just in time to see them following Aric towards the dining hall.

Aric halted suddenly at the entrance of the grand room, and turned to face them. His lips were tight, his fingers twitchy. He appeared to be wanting to tell them something of great importance.

The Trial was almost upon them and in only a day, the boys would engage in battle with the girls.

Krushem had noticed Aric's demeanor change. It'd been subtle at first with Aric having upped his punishments until the professors insisted he stop being so harsh. But that didn't stop Aric from ordering more and more boys be punished, unafraid of the professors.

It came to a point that Aric would stay up long nights, torturing boys. He would resort to dragging boys from their beds all the way to the Doom Room to have his ways with them.

Balleng and Armeq couldn't keep up with Aric's nightly schedule, so they wouldn't join Aric in his nightly "escapades." But Krushem joined Aric most nights to aid him. It was either that or have endless nightmares.