Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 9

Quinn

Standing there at the door, I scanned my battlefield, noting Lord Bedford, the pig, sitting on his throne of a comfy chair near the glowing hearth. His wife Lady Bedford was on the sofa, and opposite her were their daughters Calla and Iris. All three women, I believe, were chortling happily about something because I had heard the gleeful noise before I had opened the door.

Austin seemed bored out of his tree while Charles looked as though he had been in a conversation with Lord Bedford. There were the butler Mr. Gray and a few footmen standing by the wall while three maids were serving the family tea and dessert. There was a trolley containing a tea set and a silver tray of very luxurious-looking medieval-type sweet pie along with, yes, a knife. It looked damn sharp, and I eyed it with love.

Flicking my gaze back to my audience, I heard Liam's hesitant voice whisper, "Quinn, let's leave."

"Mrs. Ross, what is it!" Lady Bedford snapped out sharply. "You better have a good reason to have the nerve to make such a ruckus of an entrance and disturb my family's evening."

"My lady... I..." Mrs. Ross mumbled. "I apologize, my lady." I felt her hand around my wrist, and I knew the gesture well. She was begging me to leave.

I'm sorry, Mrs. Ross, but I'm not about to run away like a coward upon seeing my enemy.

I gently drew my wrist free and strolled forward until I stood in front of the family, my gaze hard on Lord Bedford.

All eyes were on me, and I knew there was disgust as well as shock from the Bedford members. As for Lord Bedford, well, he was rather perplexed as he stared at me with bloodshot eyes, and I knew he was drunk.

"Oh, my, can you smell that, Iris?" Calla said as she made a disgusted face and put her hand to her nose as if to cover an awful stink.

"Smell what?" Iris asked, confused.

"That awful stench," Calla said, nodding in my direction.

Understanding what her sister was implying, Iris snickered and nodded. "Why, indeed, Calla, but the room rather reeks." She stared at me, her eyes glinting with amusement. To her father, she said, "Papa, there's a boy who reeks of excrement in our house. He's contaminating the very air we're breathing in. Please do something before we faint."

Lord Bedford squinted his eyes at me as if he couldn't see clearly. He burst out, his face red, "You, the boy who smells of excrement, who might you be? Never seen you before and you have the nerve to contaminate my house with your filth and interrupt my family's evening. Out with you, rat! Get out of my sight!"

I could sense the servants, as well as Mr. Gray, Mrs. Ross, and Liam, tensing up, frightened because of the man's explosive temper.

With nerves made of steel, I smiled at him and said, "Oh, but I will be out of your sight in due course, my lord, just as you desire." I bent one leg behind the other and bowed very elegantly as to a queen. "Quinn at your service, Papa Pig."

When I raised my head, I saw stunned looks all around, and Calla said, "Papa... Papa Pig?"

Lady Bedford snapped, "Who are you referring to as Papa Pig?"

I tilted my head to one side as if that was obvious. I said, pointing at Lord Bedford, "Why, who else but the fat pig over there?"

Lord Bedford widened his eyes and then began to seethe. "You!" He pointed his chubby finger at me. "You..."

Clearly, he didn't know what else to say, and I doubt anyone else in the room did either, so I took the opportunity and made my move.

I stepped closer so I could stare down at them from my midget height. I said, "So, Papa Pig, I hear I'm to be offered as a bride to Lord Norsewood in lieu of my two lovely half sisters. Wow! How fortunate of me, to be married to an earl. Even more so, such a wealthy one at that. I heard he received a number of chests filled with gold coins from the king. I, no doubt, will be living a luxurious life from now on, and I have you to thank for that." Of course, I emphasized all that with a sarcastic tone.