Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 44

Quinn

When I groaned and fluttered my eyes open, I was greeted with the morning light and the other side of the bed was still warm but empty. Ah, damn, I had missed Aldric again.

It had been like this since we had moved into the penthouse, me climbing onto the bed, planning on waiting for my gorgeous husband to join me, only to fall right into a deep slumber before he even shows up. Then when I'd wake again, it was to find the other side warm with the duvet scrunched up but the space empty.

I groaned, disappointment once again aching in my chest. There was always tonight, I thought, and was determined to stay up and wait for him again. I wasn't going to give up just like that.

I knew Aldric had been busy, training himself and his men hard in the gymnasium. With all the fancy new equipment he and his men had never seen before, why wouldn't they be pumped and go all out, getting absolutely ripped and powerful? Not that they weren't already ripped and powerful now, though.

I got out of bed, and after brushing my teeth, I took a quick shower. Done and donning a winter dress, long and flowing and a mixture of this world and Earthly modernism, along with a pair of heeled boots, I thought, why not? Thus, I started applying makeup, adding eye shadow, liner, and mascara, rosy blushes on the cheeks, and a deep-red lipstick to go with the burgundy-colored dress.

I fluffed up my curls and turned this way and that, liking my looks. Wow! It felt like ages since I made myself look this chic.

Turning on my heel, I headed out the door into the sitting room, only to come to a sudden stop when my gaze locked on a hunk on the other side.

Tall, lean, and chiseled body dripping with sweat, Aldric was... So. Damn. Hot.

I lazily and appreciatively drifted my gaze down his body, liking very much what I saw. My fingers itched to touch and caress, and my lips begged for kisses.

Working hard to control myself, I strolled to him, and once I stood in front of him, I said, "Good morning, Aldric." Then because I damn well couldn't help myself, I lifted my hand and placed my fingertips on his bare chest. Trailing downward and lightly caressing his toned muscles, I gazed up into his eyes and said, "You're so sweaty. You must have been working hard at the gym, huh?"

His gaze still locked on mine, he nodded. "Mm-hmm."

Our faces inched closer, and with my lips lingering near his, I said, "My man is getting stronger every day. I'm pleased." Then I sweetly and seductively kissed him, my hand gently touching the side of his face. When I moved back, I said, "Mmmm. Aren't you tasty?"

He said, "You're very beautiful today."

I felt delight rushing through me. Ah, he noticed I had put in an effort, eh? I said, "Thank you, husband, for the compliment." I planted a light kiss on his lips. When I moved back, I changed the subject. "Aldric, I'm wondering if perhaps we can do a banquet?"

"A banquet?" he asked.

"Mm-hmm." I nodded, circling my fingers about the middle of his hard, firm chest. "It's like a fest. I think since everyone has been through a lot and now that we've moved into the lodge and everything has kind of settled, a banquet to celebrate would be good. It's like a new beginning for everyone sort of thing. What do you think?"

He looked at me for a moment and then nodded. "I'd love to have a banquet," he said.

"Do you like wine?" I asked. "I mean, I can't drink, obviously, since I'm underage, but do you and the men like wine? Beer? Brandy?"

"The men do like beer and ale," he said. "Wine? We don't usually have that. It's too expensive and needs to be imported."

"Is that so? Then you and the men are in for a treat." I touched his face again and then kissed his lips for the third time. When I moved back, I said, "I think within a week's time would be good. It has to be a Saturday night so the men can have Sunday morning to cure their hangovers."