2. Meeting

"Every meeting gives you something new."

Five days passed.

Maharaja Pandu went to Madra. The kingdom was tense, though none showed it.

I sighed and got up. There were a lot of differences between my past life and this current one. Like getting up before Brahma muhurat.

I practiced meditation at this time of the day. It was suggested by my Matamahah (maternal grandfather) when he heard about my head pain in the previous year.

"Putri Advika, where are you?" I heard my mother call.

I answered, "Here Mata, on the terrace."

She came around the corner, and I turned to touch her feet to take her blessings.

"Kalyan Ho!" she blessed me with a smile on her face.

I smiled back, wondering what happened.

I asked her, "You could have called me, Mata. You should not have climbed upstairs in this condition. You need to rest, Mata."

She chuckled and softly kissed my forehead.

"I am pregnant Putri, not sick. Don't worry about me. I will rest plenty. Can you do a work for me, Putri?" she softly inquired.

"Of course, Mata. What can I do to help?" I asked, a bit excited as I rarely went outside the house. For some reason, my parents refused to let me out of the house.

She gave a smile at my excited behavior, before leading me down the stairs to the aangan (open courtyard) of our house. There stood our only household help, Aarini.

She apparently grew up with my mother. So, after my mother's marriage, she came with my mother and helps her in every work. I lovingly called her 'Bua'.

My mother, Aaratrika, said, "Aarini, please take her to the family temple. Pitashree has called for her. Please bring her back after the Aarti."

Aarini Bua nodded and replied, "Ji, Devi."

We went out towards my mother's family temple. It was not that far from our house. The only reason I was to be supervised, other than my parents' protectiveness, was the forest that surrounded the Temple on one side.

The deity that was worshiped by my mother's family was Devi Gauri, the wife of Lord Shiva.

We also have a Shivling in the exterior of the temple. The temple's natural ambiance has always soothed my turbulent thoughts and chaotic mind. I always love coming here, whether with my parents or by myself.

Matamahah was the purohit of this place. Therefore, our family was respected here. I have noticed one more thing, almost everyone knew each other. Perhaps, not by name, but by looks.

Every day, Aarti of Devi Gauri was done in the morning and evening.

I entered the Temple premises. Matamahah was busy with the preparations of the Puja. Aarti would start in just a few minutes. I went towards him. Aarini Bua let me go when the Temple premises came into view.

"Pranipat, Matamahah!" I greeted, bending to take his blessings.

"Kalyan Ho, putri!" He replied with a smile.

He said, gesturing towards the thaal (plate), " Putri, I want you to decorate the plate for the Aarti."

" Ji, Matamahah!" I replied. Even though I was taught how to do these things, this is the first time I am doing it. Hopefully, I will do fine.

I started to decorate the plate for the puja.

" Well done, Putri!" said Matamahah when I showed it to him. I gave a smile in response.

The Aarti was about to be started. People, women, and men, and children came for the Aarti.

I stood in the front. I let the beautiful chants of the Mantra flow over me. It calmed my heart and mind down, and a sense of peace settled.

When the crowd at the temple left, I went to Matamahah. He smiled at me and said, " What is the matter, my child? Your face says you wish to ask something?"

'It was true. I do want to ask something. But, will he answer it without it going back to my parents? ' I thought.

A hand rested on my head. I looked up to see Matamahah's smiling face.

"Putri?" He questioned gently.

"Matamahah, why do my parents not let me out of their sight? I have seen so many children of my age playing. Why can't I go and play with them?" I asked.

He smiled, saying " Putri, you are a blessing to your parents. That is the reason they do not let you out of their sight. You know my dear, you were only one year old when they found you..."

He suddenly stopped, looking a little uneasy.

"I am adopted?" I asked, shocked.

"Uhh...." He muttered, still looking uneasy.

I was still in shock. A hand patted my head. I again looked up to see Matamahah looking uncomfortable.

" Why don't you go back now? Your mother must be worrying about you." He said.

I deduced he was not supposed to let me know of my apparent adoption. I let it go and bend to take his blessings and ran down the stairs of the temple.

I was still shocked and dazed. The information overload made my five-year-old body and mind tired and numb.

I came out of the Temple premises. Aarini Bua was nowhere to be seen. She must have left thinking Matamahah would lead me to the house.

I sighed. I slowly walked towards my house but was waylaid by the crowd.

Remember, there was a forest surrounding one side of the Temple? I somehow reached the edge of the forest.

Thinking about it, there was an unusual rush among the people today.

I slowly came out of the thoughts to see myself surrounded by huge trees.

The first thing that I felt was Fear.

I started panicking. Tears started to fall through my eyes. My five-year-old brain was anxious and fearful. My intelligence was telling me to analyze and then react, but my emotions were overwhelming me. A sob escaped my mouth. Tears flowing down my cheeks.

I felt someone in front of me, but my blurry vision did not help me recognize the person.

Fear was choking me so hard, thinking about Rakshas and Rakshasi, or was it an enemy soldier. All these thoughts only gave rise to fear and panic.

A warm but small hand, a bit bigger than mine, settled on top of my head and remained there till I could calm myself down. Fear slowly bled to confusion. Blurry vision gave way to clear sight.

I noticed a young boy, probably seven years old, smiling at me calmly.

I blinked, confused.

'Who was he?' Was the only question going through my mind.