Chapter 3: Class-D meets Class-D

The next day, at the end of lunch break, the situation took a sharp turn. Everyone was waiting patiently in the classroom for our afternoon lessons to begin after having finished up with their meals.

"H-hey, some first-years seem to be headed over here!"

The one who called this out was my classmate, Miyamoto.

The special exam would only be possible with the cooperation of the first and second-year students.

"Ahh!! You're kidding right? The special exam has started already?" Ike wallowed in dismay. Most of the Class-D students groaned at the very thought as well.

"Cooperate with... first years?" Hamaguchi uttered.

"Is it like the mixed training camp exam?" Shibata said.

"Hmm, since when was this a thing? We always had surprise tests and midterms in the first month." A third year said.

All the students started hypothesising different possibilities on what kind of a test we'd be having.

Ibuki scoffed. "Talk about favouritism. Do the third years have no special exam?"

"My, my, of course not. Since they are my dear schoolmates who have poured sweat and blood alongside me for the last two years, I'll personally make sure they're well accounted for." Nagumo-senpai wore a twisted expression beaming at the others' schadenfreude.

The third years simply shivered in trepidation having been at the brunt of 13 expulsions in their school year because of one person - Nagumo Miyabi.

"It appears that you're the front and centre of this experiment again, Ayanokouji." Kanzaki posed an innocent question. I wondered whether he was simply curious about my situation. Having observed the person Kanzaki Ryuji over the last one year, he was probably one of more cautious and level headed figureheads in his class.

A stray from a pack.

Class-B's approach of being conservative and benign towards others won't work in this harsh and testing environment. Kanzaki probably realised this and was willing to adapt and win at any cost.

Whether he decides to change the dynamics of how the class works or rolls over, compliantly accepting their situation is up to him.

Nonetheless, he has his work cut out for him.

"Are we gonna see Suzune's strategies for the special exam?" Sudou appeared a little excited at that prospect.

"Did the government skip the special exam explanation or something? Ne, Miyabi, aren't you the president? Do you know the rules?" Asahina-senpai queried.

Nagumo-senpai smirked. "I'll tell you if you say please, Nazuna!"

"Fuck off."

He appeared to be rather rattled which further amused the sunflower hair-pinned girl.

Tachibana-senpai smirked. 'Serves him right. I always wondered why Horikita-kun hired that rude kouhai into the student council in the first place. Disrespectful little bastard!'

"Nagumo-senpai, please tell us the rules of the special exam. I'm sure everyone will be thankful and have an easier time with the videos." Ichinose expressed her opinion.

Nagumo-senpai sent a smirk towards Asahina-senpai to which the girl simply rolled her eyes.

"Very well, listen up everyone. The motif of this exam is your test-taking and communication skills. The former needs no explanation but the latter as per school's data and instructions has fallen wayward."