Chapter 7: Koenji's Playground

During the 15-minute break, the students eagerly scattered throughout the campus, seeking a break from the intense atmosphere that had lingered in the auditorium. Some headed to the courtyard to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, while others flocked to the school cafeteria for a quick snack.

The vibe among the graduated third-year students was notably different from that of the current students. Free from the intense class competitions and academic pressures, they mingled with their year-mates in a carefree manner. Smiles adorned their faces as they exchanged stories about life beyond high school as well as their plans for the future.

The laughter around me dimmed as I found myself retreating into a realm of introspection. The revelation of the white room, the reveal of my closely guarded secret – did it evoke any emotions within me? Was there a storm of anger, frustration, or perhaps a hint of satisfaction that that man was getting exposed?

The truth is, my emotions remained elusive, as always. The white room, a facility where I was shaped and moulded, didn't elicit a hurry of emotions. Instead, it triggered a cold, detached dissection. What did this reveal change in the grand scheme of things? How did it alter the dynamics of the intricate game I was playing?

This exposure, rather than a disruption, became a tool in my hands – a piece on the chessboard that I could manipulate to my advantage. The analytical part of me welcomed this development, seeing it as an opportunity to exploit the vulnerabilities and expectations of those around me. The canvas of contemplation stretched before me, inviting me to navigate not only the external challenges but also the intricate labyrinth of my existence.

⥬⦽⧬⥨

All the students were found seated in their respective places as they awaited the next video to begin.

"Ne, ne, what d'ya think the next episode is gonna be about?" Ichihashi Ruri gossiped with her friends.

Satou groused, "Man, every episode so far has been pretty intense. I wouldn't mind some slice of life right now."

Mori, her eyes filled with curiosity, said, "It's going to feature Ayanokouji-kun again, no? They've barely scratched the surface of his secrets. It's like watching a suspense thriller."

"Kushida-chan, what are your thoughts on this whole situation?" murmured Inogashira.

Kushida mused, "It's very interesting that the government would create such a device, delving into our lives. But..." Her expression shifted, and a tinge of sadness reflected in her eyes. "I can't help but feel a sense of empathy for Ayanokouji-kun. To have one's privacy and secrets laid bare for everyone to see is painful! No matter what happens, I hope that we approach the situation with understanding and refrain from passing judgment too hastily."

A chorus of agreement was echoed from her friends.

Mashima-sensei tapped on his microphone, the subtle echoes filling the auditorium. "Alright, if you're all settled, we can begin the next video." As he clicked on his computer to play the next segment, a series of dings resonated through the room in unison.

*DING*

*DING*

*DING*

...

Each student and teacher's mobile device chimed simultaneously, the familiar notification tone indicating the commencement of a special exam. With a measured curiosity, I opened the email thread, finding a voice message in a robotic voice saying;

Below are the rules for the upcoming uninhabited special exam. To facilitate comprehension during viewing, please go through the attached document before proceeding.