3. Jourdaine Yang

3. Drunk Habits and Disparaging Headlines

Ellison was uncharacteristically quiet throughout the drive. Benson was playing his usual 80s tracks in low volume, other than that, the ride had sunk back to silence. Normally, I would welcome the peace and calm but I had discovered something in the last hour, and the urge for an answer was beginning to come back in full force.

I was eager to know why she chose to be a model after she put me through hell and back, just to steal my scholarship and ruin my chances of ever getting into a medical school.

I was confident most things could be handled with a simple, honest conversation rather than a dramatic confrontation but given the history and behavior between us two, that idea was next to impossible.

This would have been easier if she wasn't so suspiciously closed off. I stole a glance at where she sat in the far corner and took in her furrowed brows and eyes gazing out the window as if deep in thought. I didn't know what happened to her in the gallery that has her mouth in a zipper and it didn't quite sit well with me. Since she left the gallery alone, I was guessing she and her loser boyfriend must have fought. It was probably over something as petty as Ellison's taste in men was.

Whatever the reasons, demanding answers didn't seem to be the brightest idea at the moment. Changing my mind, I leaned slightly towards the driver's seat.

"Who are the other three?"

Benson lowered the volume on the stereo and asked, "Did you say something, Jourdaine?"

"I asked what you meant by the other three?"

His eyes lit up on hearing my question, "We are picking up your friends, just like the old days."

"Why—"

"What?" Ellison sat up straight, "My brother didn't tell me he was returning today—"

"Not everything is about you and your brother. Ben, where are you taking us?"

"Oh no," she said, feigning pity. "Are you jealous you don't have a relationship with your brother like I do?"

I scoffed at myself for being stupid enough to think she was upset over something. "It seems like your insolent mouth is back, considering you were just sulking over your poor boyfriend. Let me guess, he didn't agree to wear the clothes you bought for him and now, you both are fighting."

I expected another snarky retort, but Ellison turned away and lapsed into silence. It was completely out of character and goddamn unnerving. I couldn't remember the last time she let me have the last word.

"You both haven't changed a bit," Benson laughed as he glanced at us in the rear mirror. The corner of his eyes crinkled in deep lines, a sign that he had seen so much of life and endured many of its hardships. I was hit with a realization of how many years have passed since I stopped seeing him.

His laugh died down. There's a slight hesitation in my voice even though I tried to appear sincere when I said, "It is really nice to see you, Ben."

Benson nodded and gave me an encouraging smile, noticing my uneasiness at expressing myself to the people I cared for. He was one of the few people who knew me better than my parents ever had.

Ellison noticed the small exchange and chortled at my discomfort, "God, it's like you are stuck in your standard brooding mode. Benny, whilst I actually missed you," she gave me a side eye and continued talking to Benson. "You keep saying 'like the old times' and I'm starting to feel rather dubious. The old times weren't the most pleasant, so would you stop talking in circles and tell us where are we going?"