Chapter 7

Leo blinked and blinked again, deciding whether or not to trust his eyes. 
"Whoa." He was just a bit freaked, "Okay.... Whoa."

He was dead speechless. He'd seen the weirdest creatures and straight up monsters in his 10 years of life so he himself wasn't very sure as to why he was so surprised. He guessed it was the fact that he'd seen her as a small, cute bird before Percy did whatever abracadabra which changed her into a glaring beast. 

She had tripled in size and had grown a shiny pair of talons along with a tapered beak which gleamed as if polished. Her eyes were dark and showed a hint of sinister blue when the sun hit them. 

"At least now her personality matches her looks?" Leo meant it as a joke but his lingering shock left the tone wavering. 

Percy, innocent, answered it quite seriously. "Yes." He nodded, placing a hand on Keria's chest to prevent her from what he predicted was an attempt to gauge his eyes out. She didn't fight Percy but instead expressed herself by snapping her beak sharply, effectively sending him a picture of the same beak sinking in his skin. 

He shuddered, and took another step back. 

"What did you use?" Leo asked. He knew of this 'magic' which existed since he'd noticed that he often saw things others couldn't see, but now he had someone who he could ask about it. He knew that Percy would have answers. He was like him. Different.

"It's something which protects innocence." Percy started slowly. "Not everyone can see what you see. To regular people, everything looks normal and seemly and that is only due to the presence of a veil. I was lucky to learn how to manipulate it, but not everyone can."

As much as Leo curiosity was satisfied, it was aroused more. He wanted to ask more, receive more. What made them special? How could something change the view of thousands of people? So many questions. But before he could ask more, Percy changed the subject. 

"Let me treat you." Percy patted his pocket where he'd folded all the bills. Leo couldn't help himself. It was an obvious ploy to distract him from asking more but it'd been a long time since he'd had a proper meal. He had little expectations from what they'd be able to buy with the large but cheap amount of money, but he was sure it would be much better than the tofu burgers he made. 

He nodded, trying not to look very eager. He glimpsed a slight smile on Percy's face and his subtle downward glance. He followed his gaze and realized his hands were practically shivering and when he looked at them, he also noticed that he was ginning wildly. 

It was a surprise that Percy smiled instead of avoiding his eyes. He'd learnt the hard way not to smile in public. He'd been kicked out of a family just because of that smile. He didn't understand it himself, but he'd learnt that he looked as crazy as they come when he unleashed the pure glee in him. 

And so he went a bit further. 

He tilted his neck down and grinned wider. He allowed the buried emotions to rise up. The suppressed curiosity, fierceness, wildness. He let down all his mental walls and allowed Percy to see the rawness within him. 

Keria. Poor Keria got freaked and took off, giving a loud squawk. She hovered above their heads, scared but attentive, talons flexed. 

Leo was satisfied by her actions and then focused on Percy. Because of Keria loud reaction, he hadn't looked at Percy.
What he saw melted his expression right off. 

His usual cool and calm expression was gone, replaced by a look far worse than Leo made. He was beautiful and handsome, but what Leo could see showed him neither.

He could only describe it as a snarl. His lips were taunt and his face scowled in a way that almost made him cry. The eyes which were a bright blue-green seemed to glow and dim simultaneously. He looked wild and crazed, resembling a feral beast. Every instinct in his body screamed and yelled at him to run; to hide. 

And just like that, his face smoothened out, replacing the terrifying facade with a small smile. 

Leo wondered if what he saw was just a trick of the light or whatever Percy used to conceal Keria but no, his trembling body told him it was real. He let out a breathy laugh, feeling foolish. How did he even think of testing this guy?

Keria returned to her masters shoulder, feathers puffed at the chest. Percy resumed stroking her, looking serene in every way. 

Now he knew why Percy didn't look away. His eyes must've been no threat to a person who sees such a face in a mirror. There was darkness much deadlier in him that what Leo had mustered. 

And at that moment, respect blossomed in his chest. Percy was simple and innocent but the naivety existed only due to the fact he lacked 'common' experiences of life. 

"Where do we get food, though?"
Percy looked very confused.

Everything forgotten and ignored, Leo led them to a diner, wiping the sweat off his palms.