Chapter 12

The air was dry. The ground looked withered with age, its leaves dusty and crumpled. The plants- some lifeless and some so well adapted that they slept through the commotion. The environment was nothing like the forests Percy knew and yet every part of nature had seemed to muster up enough water to survive.

Just like them, Percy somehow managed to muster up enough water to let a single tear roll down his cheek. It burned. 

He forgot about his own pain as he blinked back the blurriness from his eyes to see hundreds of bruises littering Leo's body. His back for similar enough to his own to realize that Leo was a victim too. He even had some scars marking his upper arms and shoulders. The discolored skin spotted with old purple made him see red. 

He'd had enough already with his past haunting him even after these several years. It killed him to know another had gone through those horrors while being even younger than him. Looking at Leos back made him understand so much more about him even though he didn't know a speck of what he had gone through. 

Thankfully, none of the wounds looked new. If he'd seen even one fresh wound, he would've tracked his abuser down then and there. By the looks of it, the markings seemed to be a little older than just before they had met, confirming his suspicions of Leo having run away recently. 

Knowing that Percy wouldn't have liked it if anyone pried or asked about his life, he held himself back from interrogating Leo. Him showing these scars was already a big show of trust on his behalf. He saw. He understood. 

"It was my stepfather." Percy murmured to his back. "After my mom died, he didn't have any reason to pretend to be nice."  

Percy gently touched one of his bruises, the other hand creeping to the ground. He urged water to come to him, begging and pleading while he kept talking in soft whispers. He told Leo about the hellish years he passed after his mom was gone. He told him how a kind grandma helped him escape. 

Remembering the good after recalling the past made it easier for him to call on his powers. The meager water he had saved for emergencies crawled across Leo's back, little tendrils climbing over the ridges and purples of his skin. Having jerked at the contact, he relaxed slowly, feeling refreshed and lighter. 

Percy could see him looking down at his arms and seeing the bruises lighten and cuts stich together. He knew he would have questions and probably would find the answers soon, but for now, Percy did not ask nor did he want to be asked. 

Talking to Leo made him feel lighter too. He had never really opened up himself to anyone else like this. Speaking to Leo, he realized that he wasn't struggling to get the words out. Just thinking of Gabe had made him choke several times before. Even glimpsing his scars made the world heavier and the skies darker. But now, his voice was low but steady. 

Maybe healing Leo had healed him as well. 

Of course, it wasn't as if he was okay. His eyes burned and his hands trembled. He had to force himself to focus, but he was talking, and that was enough. 

Maybe, just maybe, could he move on? Escape from his clutches and look at a world where he doesn't cower from big pot-bellied men? Maybe look at amber liquor and not flinch away? See a person hitting a fly and not spend the rest of the day in a nightmare? 

He wanted Leo to have a hope like his too. 

"Here."
Leo hadn't said anything throughout. He remained with his back towards Percy and his chin tucked in his neck. His hands were fisted and his back tensed. He turned only when he felt a light but sharp tap on his shoulder. 

He turned to face, not Percy, but a hard, shiny thing which looked like a horn. His brain immediately connected it to the minotaur who had just visited. He grabbed it, shifting to face him fully. Leo ran his hands over it, gauging the materials and feel of it, fascinated. 

It was enough to distract him as Percy finished patching himself up. Leo only looked up when he heard the obnoxiously loud crinkle of the plastics when Percy had started cleaning up. He felt like a fool not even realizing that the person who was hurt had healed him and was now cleaning up. 

Flustered, he tried to splutter out a something, only to be interrupted by Percy's cracked voice. "A memento." Percy nodded to the horn. "For enduring." 

Leo's hands shook.
"A memento." 

***

Author's Note

Hello Readers, 
I would like to apologize for the extreme delay in publishing this chapter. I also want to inform you guys that, for at least a few months, this will probably continue as I have a very hectic schedule.
I will of course try to write as much I can, whenever I can, so please keep giving me your support!
I assure you, I love this story too much to drop it 😁
Thank you!