Since You've Been Gone

Parker shifted back and forth on his feet anxiously as he stared at Michaela screeching at the top of her little lungs. It was safe to say he'd never been around a baby in his life; which was expected since through all of high school he went through girls like dirty socks. Max was quiet in the carrier Parker grasped tightly in his right hand, appearing as though it weighed no more than a loaf of bread, his blue yes gazing around him, absorbing his surroundings.

I'd only had the babies just under two weeks and I already had them down to a tee. Michaela was extraordinarily needy and had to be held every moment of every day or she'd scream her head off. Max was chill, only crying when necessary. They couldn't be more different; kind of like Maya and me.

"Is she going to be doing that a lot?" Parker finally asked.

I eyed him for a minute, making sure he was serious before I responded. "It's kind of what babies do, Park. They cry."

"This one doesn't." he pointed his chin down toward Max. "He's been quiet the entire drive here."

I didn't know what to say to that. I was still learning to adapt to these kids myself, forcing Parker to do the same wouldn't be fair. He had offered us a roof over our heads for a few days while I got life sorted out, which at this point, with as little energy and my sleep deprivation, was going to prove to be a walk-through hell in itself.

"Well, we better get upstairs. We're going to have to face the fire at some point."

I could hear the dread in his voice and made sure to keep a safe distance behind with Michela, afraid that the combination of the agitation and her crying would drive him over the edge. I was sure he was walking slow to ensure I kept pace with him as we stepped through the front door of the apartment building. With legs as long as his, he would have been at the rusted silver elevators in two quick stride. To our relief, Michaela's cry faded into a whimper before she started to doze, the constant motion of my arm swinging the heavy car seat lulling her into a peaceful slumber. Parker, noticing my struggle with the carrier, gently pried my fingers and grabbed it seconds later so he was holding both of them with a wry smile.

"Forgot you're the weak twin. " he tried at a joke. "Though with as many text books as you carried up and down those stairs in high school, I'm surprised you didn't acquire some sort of muscle."

I shot him a look. "Funny, Park. Really."

"I'm serious. I remember Junior year you socked Tanner and nearly broke his nose because he wouldn't shut up about how you embarrassed yourself at Homecoming." He continued, a smirk touching at his full, chapped lips. "I still haven't let him live that down. Give him shit for it every time we hit a party."

I felt the right side of my mouth curve up a little at the memory, but quickly came to my senses and it was gone as quick as it appeared, hopefully quick enough that Parker hadn't caught it. Thankfully the elevator doors clicked open and we stepped into an eerily silent hallway. Between the old, abstract carpeting that looked as if it hadn't been replaced in decades and the quiet, I feared when I glanced passed Parker's broad shoulders that I'd find a tidal wave of blood rushing toward us.

"Brace yourself." Parker threw me a crooked smile over his shoulder. "Though I have very much matured the last few months, Tanner has, how can I put this nicely, not grown wiser with age."

That, that comment brought the first smile in over three weeks to my face. And I hated him for it,

"Park, man! How'd the service go? I bought—"

I didn't have a chance to take in the living quarters, as Tanner was standing only a few feet in front of the open door, and he was hard to look passed.