The Watcher

"Yes, yes, I know, Max. You're hungry."

I finished making the bottle and crossed the room to the bassinet, the blue blanket I'd swaddled Max in over five times disheveled yet again as he kicked and fussed. I casted a glance at Michaela sleeping soundly beside him, still perfectly swaddled. If this was any indication of the personalities they'd grow into, I was in for a hell of a ride.

"Hey, Mia." Tanner poked his head in, lips curved into a weak smile. "You good? I have a few classes today but I'll head back here after practice to help you out."

I hoped I didn't look as relieved as I felt. Nodding slowly, I returned his small smile. "I'm all good right now, Tan. Thanks."

He gave me a quick, two finger salute before ducking back out of the room and disappearing down the hall. I waited until his footsteps completely retreated before heading for the computer chair on the other side of the room. Nudging Maya's diary aside with my elbow, I sat down and cradled Max in one arm against my chest, picking up the book with the other and flipping it to the page following the introduction.

Dear Mia,

Someone is stalking me. I know that sounds crazy and that's why I haven't said anything to you yet. Because I know with your logic you'd have some smart response. Like it was just someone who doesn't like me and my status, someone envious of me. I thought that for a while too. But today after I left Parker in the Gym, I saw someone in a black hoodie walking away from my car. When I got in there was a sticky note that said just one word. Leave. What the hell is that supposed to mean? I showed Park, but he thinks it's just a joke, and if he thinks that, I know you will. I'm freaking out, Mimi. What in the actual hell?

M.F

I inhaled sharply, touching my index finger and thumb to the bottom of Max's bottle as I tried retained the messy calligraphy before me. Someone had been watching my sister, stalking her. I could vaguely remember her being a little on edge the last few months of high school, but I'd chalked that up to her hiding the pregnancy from everyone. Obviously it was more than that. What's even stranger is that they'd given this diary back to me instead of keeping it as evidence. Shaking my head, and the past entry away, I looked to the next page.

Dear Mia,

I did something bad, like so bad you're going to kill me if you find out. I kind of, sort of, had a drunken one-night stand with Tanner last night at Parker's party. He was hammered and I think he thought I was you, but I was so drunk myself that I don't remember much. I'm such an idiot. At least it wasn't Parker.

M.F

If I wasn't holding a newborn, I may have slapped a hand against my forehead and shook my head in disapproval. Instead, I flipped to the next page, and with it, my suspicions ignited.

Dear Mia,

It seems like I can't keep myself out of shit and I keep asking you to bail me out and I'm so fucking sorry for that. You have a future and after that party a month ago, mine isn't looking so bright. I've been feeling really weird, and I saw you noticed it because you've been asking me every morning if I'm okay. Parker asked yesterday too, but you distracted him and I took it as an out. I bought a couple pregnancy tests last night and took them at Kya's house so there wasn't a chance you or Dare could find it. Or worse Mom and Dad.