Chapter Thirty-One

*Present day*

Levi

I woke drenched in my own sweat, chest heaving with effort. All thanks to the dream I had last night.

I was back at the lake house in a familiar bedroom. Tessa was with me- and when I say with me, I mean she was on top of me, riding me like she did that night so long ago. Her hips rocked against me as I guided her with steady hands, never wanting the night to end.

Everything from that night came flooding back. I remembered how she felt, how she watched me through those emerald eyes, the silkiness of her skin on mine, and every sound she made. It felt so real, almost as if I were there again, living that memory with her.

My dick was at full attention, so close to release. I was shocked I hadn't finished in my sleep; the dream was so realistic. I let out a shaky breath, fisting my erection, letting my mind wander back to that dream. I didn't care what I was doing or who I was thinking about while doing it. I just needed to come.

It didn't take long for me to find my release. I was already primed and ready to go. When I thought of Tessa bucking against me, I was a goner. I ferociously shot my load into my hand, coming harder than I had in months.

When I was done, I lay there thinking about her and everything we used to have. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it. I don't just mean the physical either. I miss her. I miss the way we used to talk, the way she made me feel. I miss it all.

She was the love of my life. Until she broke my heart.

That memory left me feeling bitter. I thought we had something special, but I was wrong. A small part of me still held on to the hope that things could change, that they could go back to the way they used to be.

Can they?

If I've been reading her right lately, our proximity is affecting her just as much as it is me. Maybe she wants things to go back to the way they were. If she does, can I really let myself go back there? Am I ready for that?

My morning was hazy. I barely remember getting ready for the day, going through the motions on autopilot. I was so messed up with my thoughts about Tessa and what could be that I hardly paid attention to what was happening around me.

Jason and Charlotte were already up eating breakfast when I made it downstairs. Lucky for me, Tessa wasn't there. It didn't help much with my tormented thoughts. After mumbling a quick good morning to J and Char, I went right back to contemplating my future life choices.

I was so wrapped up in wondering what the fuck I should do about my reemerging feelings for Tessa that I didn't hear her come into the kitchen. Flickers of my dream last night replayed in my head as I grabbed a plate from the cabinet.

I spun around to set it next to my coffee, not paying attention to anything around me. That's when it happened- I collided chest first into Tessa, nearly sending her sprawling to the ground.

My arms automatically reached for her, pulling her close, so she didn't fall. Our bodies were so close I could feel the way her breathing hitched as her hands reflexively snapped to my chest.

Thank God I wore a shirt!

Who knows what I would have done if her hands had slid over my bare skin? It was bad enough that this simple accident had me reeling.