Chapter Forty

Tessa

I'm not sure what made me do it. Everything I was battling with, everything I'd been feeling, had my mind so muddled. When Levi said he had feelings for me, I wanted to believe him.

He sounded sincere, almost as if it would crush him if I turned him down. So, I let myself believe, even if it was all just a lie. I let myself believe that he felt what I did, and I kissed him.

The sparks between us were just as hot as they had been last summer, more even. As Levi wrapped his arms around me, I melted into the kiss, letting my worries fade away and allowing myself to get lost in the moment.

His touch was powerful. It made me feel amazing, and he made me feel cherished. Levi kissed me like it was our last moment on Earth, pouring every ounce of desire into it.

I don't know how long we were there wrapped up in one another, but by the time we broke free, we were both breathless. What I saw when I looked at Levi was something I thought I'd never see again. I saw his smile, a genuine one, one I hadn't seen in ages.

It felt like I had my friend back, the one I missed so much after everything that happened last summer, the one I'd crushed on since we were kids. The good, sweet, charming Levi was back- my Levi was back.

He gently stroked my cheek with his thumb, resting his head on mine. It was the sweetest moment I'd had with anyone in so long. And it was happening with Levi. I was so happy, but the voice in the back of my mind was whispering to be careful.

I tuned her out and let myself bask in the moment. If this was just another twist in some fucked up game, I didn't want to ruin the illusion just yet.

Instead, I grabbed his hand and pressed another sweet kiss to his lips. "We should probably get back. They'll start to wonder where we disappeared to."

Levi pulled back an inch. "Yeah, I suppose we should. Do you want to go back together, or..."

I shook my head. "We should go separately," I said quickly, noticing the flash of disappointment on Levi's face, which he swiftly concealed.

"Just so we don't grab everyone's attention. I don't want Charlotte to focus on anything but her big day, and if we walk in there arm in arm, she'll have questions. I don't want to take her focus away from the wedding," I added.

He nodded. "That makes sense." He grew quiet as a playful smirk curled over his lips. "Besides, we can always continue this back at the house later."

Levi leaned in, capturing my lips in his again.

"Mmmm," I moaned, breaking away, "I'd love that, but I'm staying with Char tonight.

Levi's face fell into the cutest pout, showing the playful side of him I'd missed so much.

"Buuut, we can pick this back up tomorrow. After the wedding," I promised.

"Deal!" Levi planted one more hungry kiss on my lips before sending me on my way, swatting my ass as I turned toward the door.

I let out a surprised squeak as I glared playfully back at him before leaving the storage room.

When I entered the ballroom, Leah and Colin were the first to find me as I handed over my find to Char's mom.

"What took so long? I didn't think they had that much stuff in the store room?" Leah questioned.

"Oh, it was shoved behind something. I had to dig for it." I watched as Colin's eyes darted to something behind me.

I turned to see what caught his eye and found Levi strolling back into the room. He looked my way with a quick smile before heading to the other side of the room.

When I turned back to my friends, Colin was sporting a cheeky grin. "Interesting," he murmured.

Luckily, he didn't say anything overt, choosing to torment me with sly looks and suggestive commentary the rest of the night. I played coy, unwilling to bring the subject up in case Charlotte heard us. I was telling the truth when I told Levi I didn't want her focus to be on anything but the wedding.

It wouldn't be fair to her. She and Jason deserved this, and I wasn't going to be the one to spoil their big day with my relationship drama.

That being said, I still took a few opportunities to cast glances in Levi's direction throughout the rest of the night. Each time I did, I found him looking back at me. He'd send me a knowing smile or a sexy wink, making butterflies flutter in my stomach.

After tonight's events, I couldn't wait for tomorrow. I was so excited about the wedding. I'd gain a new sister, and I'd get to see my best friend and my brother celebrate one of the biggest days of their lives.

Even more, though, I was eager to see what would happen after the wedding, specifically, what Levi had in store for us after the nuptials were completed.

I knew getting my hopes up like that was dangerous, but I couldn't help it. Levi has always been my weak spot, and there was still a chance he was being sincere.

Who knows, maybe once this is all over, we'll be able to live happily ever after. A girl can dream, right?

A/N: 

Kind of a filler chapter for today, but next week we get into the good stuff. What happened last summer? That will finally be answered. Prepare yourselves, next week, these two will send us on an emotional roller coaster. 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I'll see you next time! 

In the meantime, check out my Instagram @ l.a.arms.author for teasers for what could be my next story.