001. snowflake summer

Chapter One ✴ Snowflake summer

CAMP HALF-BLOOD was the most beautiful during winter time. The snow was allowed to fall lightly, young demigods playing in it. Frost covered the chariot track and the strawberry fields with snow angels on them. The cabins were decorated with tiny flickering lights, like Christmas lights, except they were balls of real fire. More lights glowed in the woods where the nymph had taken it upon themselves to decorate their home for the festive season.

Music filled her ears as she placed an ornament on the tree in the middle of the room, lights shinning in her eyes from the glow of the tree and a scent of pine and gingerbread filled her nostrils. She hummed to the familiar melody of Christmas music her cabinmates played, every year the same tunes, but never sick of it. Placing the last ornament upon the tree, the girl stood up to her feet, admiring her work. It was her task to decorate the tree, and despite one being in the amphitheater, they all decided to get one of their own.

"All I want for Christmas is you!"

Giselle Wright turned around to where the sound came from. She knew who was singing on top of their lungs, used to it for the last four years. On the sofa of their cabin laid Cindy Blossom, daughter of Euterpe, a blanket over her body as she scrolled though her phone. The girl decided to visit the Camp for Christmas as her father and step-mother went on a holiday vacation she didn't want to. Her red hair was sprawled all over the pillow she laid on, green eyes squinting at the bright screen, her glasses no where in sight.

The brunette patted towards the red-head, moving her legs up so she could sit on the sofa and placing them over her lap. She let her head fall backward onto the back of the sofa, her hand moving to cover her eyes from the bright light that illuminated the room. Christmas and such holidays were always hard for her since young age ─ her father passing on the day of Christmas Eve, day when she met her mother.

Footsteps echoed around the room and when Giselle removed her arm and looked towards it, the familiar set of stair appearing by the wall, seeming to come from the ceiling, leading four demigods to come down from their rooms. It was a set of stairs their mothers made possible when building the cabin for their children. Unlike most cabins in the Camp, cabin of the muses was special by all means. Not all of them had magical homes like they did ─ room for every single one of them, on a magic floor that only they can access. When entering their home, other demigods would only see a simple room with sofa and armchairs, a door to bathroom and décor hanging on the walls. Many questioned where they sleep, but the children of muses only laughed and said it was a mystery.

The first to reach the ground floor was Cody Peterson, son of Clio, and second oldest of the cabin and one that stayed with Giselle year-around. The hood of his hoodie covered his head as he descended from the stairs, black hair pulled back in a bun, away from his eyes and pajama pants on his legs ─ he never bothered changing. Hands in his pockets as Fleur Blanchet, daughter of Melpomene walked behind him, in conversation with Juliet Nova, daughter of Erato. With Fleur's freshly dyed blue hair and glossed lips, her school's uniform still on her body, the girl decided to visit her cabinmates before going back to town as she lived in New York. Juliet, much like Giselle and Cody, stayed year-round at the Camp, her mother working in her hometown back in Madrid and the girl deciding she wanted to stay for at least one more year before committing to moving away ─ but knowing the girl, Giselle knew she would stay.