◙twenty-four◙

Elle and her crew heard the whole thing—Lola's explanations, her claims, and the decision of what to do with the mothers. Somehow, while she was trying to infiltrate the system and unlock exits, Elle had managed to screw with the volume and bring it back, though the screens kept switching off and on, revealing different angles of the discussion below.

But the volume was clear, intact, displaying Lola's confidence, the mothers' fear, and Cole's determination. It gave insight to what these alien-human hybrids had been planning, what caused their bloodlust, what drove them to wanting to get out.

All the more reason to save our asses and also get out of here.

Elle hadn't given up, though most of her attempts had been unsuccessful thus far. She'd reactivated the volume, she'd even turned on the lights in the upper level's main hallway, and unlocked the cafeteria door—in case they had to migrate up there, at least they'd have some food before being beheaded, right?

But she'd given up on being hopeful. She wouldn't save everyone; she simply couldn't. There were ten of them in the security office, potentially more outside of it, hiding in rooms, and even more on the upper floor, stuck in offices. And then there were the mothers, below. Elle knew there was no way to save them from their fates, and she was sorry to think she didn't have time to try. If anything, they were the best distraction to ensure everyone else could flee—if she ever cracked the code linking the machines to Rivo's mind.

His mind was strong. Some might have implied his hold on the systems was weak, but in fact, his ability allowed him to control multiple machines at once. He was controlling the security cameras, the emergency exits, the emergency lights, and the general electricity of the building. Main systems, plus a multitude of motherboards to oversee, all the while having an in-depth conversation with his siblings? He was much more powerful than any of them could imagine.

"We need to get them, too," said coffee-mug guy, pointing at the camera currently displaying the four mothers huddled together. "They can't stay here and feed into the alien's plans. Breed alien babies for the rest of their lives? This is insane!"

"Actually..." Pajama lady snorted, gesturing at the screen as it fizzled, switching over to the aliens. "They're not wrong, if you think about it. That whole spiel Lola gave... it's true, and none of us can deny it. This government is fucked up, isn't it? Dictator D and his goons, his inhuman policies. I mean, look at what we've been doing this whole time, yeah? And none of us even knew the truth of it."

Coffee-mug guy shook his head side to side, considering her words. "We knew we were working with foreign DNA, and we knew we'd be creating children with modified behaviors and supernatural powers. But yes," he gave pajama lady a nod, "other than that, I didn't know exactly what or who I was working for."

"We're all working for the dictator," said pajama lady, turning and leaning against the desk, her gaze on Elle's fingertips as they hurried across the keyboard. "It's a governmental lab, so it was no surprise when we accepted our positions. And what were we working for? A super secret project to accelerate and facilitate birthing, so our dearest dictator could further abolish abortion and restrict women's rights. More ways to force women to have children, to build a legacy of humans and overpopulate this damn country, this damn world." She scoffed. "All bullshit."

"Then why are you here?" Coffee-mug man grimaced at her. "If you knew all that going in, why did you do it?"

Elle had been about to ask the same question, but she refocused on the screen as a white box popped up, with a blinking cursor awaiting instructions. She typed up yet another code to bypass Rivo's power. It failed.

"Money, obviously. With this economy, what else could we do but work for the enemy? I had no choice, and I assume you didn't, either." Pajama lady pointed a knobby finger at coffee-mug man. "Don't play the innocent card, and don't act like you have a better moral compass than me. We all signed detailed contracts when we started here."