Operation Moon and Tides

Chapter 8: Operation Moon and Tides

"They have to have it out for me. There's no other way that I go three for three with big scary prophecies as one of the main targets. The Fates are out to get me."

Percy both laughed and groaned as his mind raced through the words of the prophecy. He breathed deeply as he asked Artemis to repeat it. She nodded.

"The betrayed one walks a divergent path

Called to fight the Dark One's wrath

Stand against Darkness, die by the blade

The ascension of Hell, Mountains an aide

A choice will come that may end his days

An Olympian stands, preserved or raised"

Percy shook his head again.

"That last part sounds just like the one before the Second Titan War," he said.

"Yes. But now it has to do with a sole Olympian, instead of Olympus itself. I believe that Olympian to be your father, but I do not know what it could mean by preserving or raising him," Artemis said.

Percy's mind wandered away from the prophecy as he thought about having to go back to Camp Half Blood. For all the good memories he had there, they all felt overshadowed by the worse and most recent ones. But he knew Cameron was gone now. Artemis wouldn't go into detail but he was grateful to find out that the situation was handled, and that everyone at camp was safe. Percy wasn't sure he wanted to or even could face everyone back at camp.

Artemis seemed to read his mind as his expression became distressed. She didn't even notice her own hand move on top of his as she turned towards him.

"Percy. I know you do not wish to go back there, but the council deems it the right move and I believe it will also be necessary for the prophecy. But you don't need to worry about it immediately, we still have a month before we are due to report at the camp," she reassured him.

Artemis also was reassuring herself. She knew it was particularly Annabeth on Percy's mind when it came to his apprehension towards camp. And that caused an ugly feeling within her for a reason she refused to admit to herself. The one-month period was set by Artemis at the most recent meeting on Olympus, even though the council originally wanted them to head to camp right away. She planned to use that month to handle whatever these foreign emotions were.

Percy made sure not to meet Artemis' eyes while she talked. He was absolutely certain that his face would give his feelings away as his heart beat out of his body at the touch of her hand on his. He cleared his throat.

"Um, yeah. You're right, Milady, and a month should be enough time to learn more about my new powers" he stumbled, trying to change the subject and have the heat in his face subside.

Artemis realized her hand was on his and quickly retracted it before speaking.

"Yes, your new powers. What are you calling that blue lightning attack with your fists again?"

"My Fist of Havoc," he said dramatically, making Artemis laugh. "It looks a little like Zeus' lightning so I have to at least name it something as flamboyant as your dad can get."

Percy looked down at his hand and closed his eyes to concentrate. He felt a shock arc up his forearm and he opened his eyes. His closed fist glowed bright blue with power, electricity dancing up and down his arm. His new power was something he had unknowingly developed over the past several weeks while fighting alongside the hunters.