I Learn to See in the Dark

Chapter 13: I Learn to See in the Dark

The weary demigods were transfixed by the phoenix-like creature tearing through the air throwing what looked like small burning axes at the dangerous lineup of enemies. Percy had hurled his first hammer purely in his rage, but quickly discovered that they caused a fiery explosion on impact before reappearing in his hands. He released one after another at the group as he closed the distance, the explosive projectiles lighting up the dark night and forcing the five apart. The titans and giants stumbled back from the onslaught, leaving Crota alone in the epicenter when the flaming demigod crashed downwards at blinding speeds, his lowered shoulder striking the monstrous lobster's chest.

The collision lit up the sky as Percy flattened Crota against the dirt. He got a closer look at the monster that had escaped from him more than two years ago. Instead of his former blood red color, the monster's skin seemed to have a blackened tint likely due to the master he now served. Crota measured nearly ten feet tall with his muscle-bound form and massive pincers seemingly larger than before. But Percy didn't care; he fought to his feet before his opponent could, the burning demigod swinging his flaming hammers wildly on the pinned sea creature.

As Percy continued his violent assault, with Crota doing everything in his power to use his wide pincers as shields, the other four assailants closed in on the demigod. The hammers continued their explosive releases, but the titans and giants could handle the heat. Polybotes neared Percy the quickest, the thirty-foot giant not caring about the fire licking at his scaly legs. The Bane of Poseidon reared back his trident, glaring excitedly as he struck downwards at the rageful demigod's turned back.

A silver figure dashed in at imperceptible speeds, dual hunting knives drawn to block the giant's fatal attack. Artemis stood between Polybotes and Percy, her knives crossed against the trident and a murderous look in her eyes. The goddess, now at her divine height of fifteen feet, and the giant struggled against each other with their blades locked. Artemis knew she couldn't hold out long against the giant in a measure of brute strength, and hinged to sidestep when she noticed Hippolytus to her side, already mid-swing.

Artemis grimaced, bracing for an impact to her side. It never came and, instead, she felt a slight increase in the temperature that she knew wasn't coming from Percy's burning form. She quickly glanced to her left and a quick feeling of relief washed over her, though she rolled her eyes. Apollo flashed his signature smile at his twin sister, hiding the exertion it was taking him to hold back the second giant's staff with his bow.

The demigod onlookers snapped out of their stupor after seeing two Olympian gods appear alongside what they realized was Percy Jackson. Most of them were too exhausted to be of any help to the trio against the caliber of enemies they were facing, but the titans still had no opponents.

Dismounting from Pegasus, Reyna was still in peak condition to fight. Frank, unwilling to let his fellow Praetor challenge the titans alone, pulled himself to his feet in his human form and ran alongside her towards the enemy. They made a beeline towards Krios, who was circling towards Apollo's blindside, but were both beaten to the punch by a feminine figure that leapt over their heads. She intercepted the Titan of the Stars, thrusting a spear over her head and ripping down a bolt of lightning. Thalia's attack forced the tall monster to convulse and stumble backwards, giving the three demigods enough time to encircle him and draw him away from the ones already locked in battle.

Hyperion laughed as he strode haughtily towards Percy, his golden armor glowing brightly as the demigod's flames danced across it. He had realized how easy it would be to run a distracted Percy through with his spear, finally getting revenge for his embarrassing defeat in New York. But the Titan of Light was pulled out of both his fantasy and right off of the ground by a trio of fire-breathing dragons.