Chapter VII

Lunch is over quicker than I would want it to be and my abs ache and so do my arms and now I would have to fight someone. And knowing Eric we wouldn't exactly be able to tap out.

Uriah pats me on the back at which I flinch. Normal movements are okay, it doesn't hurt all that much anymore and I am used to that aching, but hitting on the back is still painful. Another factor that won't be good in a fight.

"You got this", Uriah encourages and disappears down a hallway, while I walk back to our training room. Eric calls out the pairs and smirks at me when he says:  "Tessa and Peter."

The Candor boy grins at me and my brother looks rather worried. I straighten myself and raise my head a little higher when stepping onto the mat.

We circle each other and I wait for Peter to make the first move. And he does - a straight punch towards my sternum, which I block and then sidesteps him, letting my fist fly towards his face, he blocks that hit, but I use the kick Eric thought me and hit his ribs, hard enough to hear him hiss in pain. And while I prepare for another hit to his head, he lands a blow on my rib which sends me stumbling back. Be fast. Get him off his feet. So I recover and just tackle him to the ground. That does take him by surprise and I land another few hits to his face before he throws me off and I land painfully hard on my back and he hits me in the face as well. His weight on my abdomen and chest is pushing the air out of my lungs. I need to act. Fast. I throw my legs around his waist and push him back, wrap my hands around his throat and squeeze. I almost feel bad that it felt so easy.

"Enough! Winner Tessa", my brother announces, a small smile playing on his lips. I remove my hands and get up, stepping off the mat when my hair is yanked back and I fall onto my back once again, skid over the ground and I feel the scabs on my back reopening. Feel a foot connecting with my ribs twice. I roll away and stand up, but my knees buckle and after hitting Peter's abdomen once, I sink back down. Moments before his knee can collide with my chest he is thrown across the mat and my eyes connect with a furious Eric.

"In case it wasn't clear. When the fight is called and the winner is announced, the fight is over. Attacking from behind is cowardice", he calls out and my brother helps me up.

"I need to go to the infirmary Tobes", I say and he nods.

"Follow me initiate."

I follow my brother who wraps his arm carefully around me for support. In the infirmary Tobias motions for the nurse to leave, who does so without question.

I carefully pull up my T-shirt that is already sticking to my back and Tobias pulls out the first aid kit. His eyes harden when they fall onto my back. Onto the scars that layer over each other.

"I should have stayed. Should have protected you", he says when he presses gauze with disinfectant to my wound.

"You have these scars on your back, now I have them. If you stayed you'd be alone there now because I would have left. You protected me back then and I took care of your wounds. Then in the last two years, I returned the favour. Now stop talking about that", I say and grab some bandages.

"How did you manage it alone these years?", my brother asks while wrapping up the wound.

"With lots of cursing and trying out stuff."
He nods and fixates the bandage, I get back up.

"Well, is it dinner time yet?"

My brother nods. "Then the ranks are posted. You should be quite high up. You were good with Peter, but still need to improve a lot to be up in the ranks in the ending."

"Well then big brother, let's get something to eat", I smile and link my arm with his, walking towards the sunlight-filled room. A short distance before the opening towards the mess hall my brother lets go of my arm, kisses my forehead and walks inside. I wait for a few moments before entering as well.

Tris walks towards me.

"How are you? Are you okay? Peter is an asshole", she mutters.

"I am fine. My rib hurts a little and my back too, but I'll manage."

"Eric beat Peter", Tris states.

"He what?"

"He beat him, just look at him."

Tris was right. Peter's whole right cheek was swollen and red. I grin.

"He deserved it. I won fair and square. Now I could eat a bear", I smile and she nods returning to her seat by Christina who sends me a smirk and a thumbs up.

After loading steamed vegetables, chicken wings and rosemary-baked potatoes onto my plate I take my seat next to Uriah.

"I heard you beat the guy's ass, but that bad?", Marlene questions.

"Oh, no the face was Eric. Peter attacked after it was called that I won. But today was only the test drive, I think. I mean we only learned how to throw some punches. When we really learn it is going to be a lot harder, because they'll be a lot stronger and better", I say, sipping on my flavoured water.

"Yes, but so will you", Lynn states.

I almost fall asleep at the table, but the others pull me with them to look at the results of the day.

Uriah

Sammy

Val

Alley

Edward

Lori

Peter

Marlene

Lynn

Tessa

Will

Rory

Sam

Finnley

Christina

.

.

.

I smile at the results and Uriah throws his arm over my shoulder, pulling me into his side, doing the same with Marlene on the other side. I meet Eric's gaze and for a second I swear it turns softer than before.

I turn down the girls' offer to show me 'the other cool places' around here and head straight to the dorms instead. I wash carefully, avoiding my back and wrap the bandages around myself again, dressing in an oversized T-shirt and loose shorts that I got handed in the beginning. The knife I still had in my boot is now placed underneath my pillow.

The mattress is horribly uncomfortable, but eventually, I find a comfortable position and fall asleep, stirring awake only when some of the boys return.