Chapter XVI

Together with the others make my way to the pit, thankful for my choice of flats and Uriah's arm around my waist because the beers seem to have their effect.

And the music is loud, colourful lights flickering around and so many people filling the pit. Some come and greet the older members of our group. Uriah and Marlene guide me through the crowd, towards the bar and this time orders Bacardi-Sprite for me. I like it way better than the beer.

"Let's go dance!", Marlene exclaims and after finishing my drink, I giggle, yes giggle and join her. There was this giddy feeling cruising through my body and the music overtakes everything else.

Marlene and I move to the beat, swinging our hips and moving our arms. We twirl around each other and I feel light like I was floating, the flickering lights making it hard to really look beyond the face of the person in front of me. Uriah, Sammy and Lynn join us and later so do Shauna, Zeke, Samuel and Zach. And my brother. He doesn't dance much, but at least bobs his head to the beat and moves his feet. I am swirled around again, now facing Uriah who places his hands on my hips and we sway together. I laugh as he dips me low and pulls me back up. We dance for hours, everybody with everybody, Zeke even setting me onto his shoulders once. And then I dance with Edward, his hands resting on my hips and partly on my stomach, laughing as he tells me how he facepalmed into the net at the beginning of initiation, I get that feeling again, where the hairs in my neck rise up. I turn around and do my best to scan the crowd for Eric. Because I know for sure that he must be looking at me. And sure enough, he stands on one of the balconies and looks at me. And the way he does this sends shivers down my spine and the way he looks at Edward makes me worry for the boy behind me. It is as if he takes everything in, eyes scanning over me, stopping by my moving hips. Then snapping back to my face.

"Tessa!", my brother calls out.

And when I look back, Eric is gone.

I swap partners and start dancing with my brother. With a lot more space between us than there was with Edward.

"Yes?"

"Congratulations. On ranking fifth, you are doing really good", he says.

"I know", I giggle.

"Are you drunk?"

"Lil' bit", I smile twirling in his arms.

"You should really be more careful."

"I am careful."

"I can see that."

"Are you done judging me?", I ask with raised eyebrows.

My brother rolls his eyes.

"I take that as a no", I state and turn around, squeezing myself through the moving bodies until I reach the bar, where I order another Bacardi.

"And you like to drink", someone drawls out from behind me.

"Well, Eric, I would believe that you do too."

"Four didn't look very happy with you."

"What Four is or isn't doesn't matter right now."

"So you are unhappy with him too. Why is that?"

"Because he is judging me", I sigh.

"Why?"

"For not hating you."

"Ah, dear old Four, hating me so much that he hates those who don't hate me."

I continue drinking until Eric steps closer.

"Will you dance with me?", he asks.

I smile widely and take his hand. It feels nice. Calloused and warm. I stumble a bit and he lets go pulling me close by the waist.