The Breeze of a Storm

The smell of rain and the lingering feeling of charms whispered through the air. The wind tickled Nina's nose gently as she lay back on the bough of a winding Arlac tree. The forest stretches for miles but Nina was closer to the edge of the forest near the entrance to the land of Tarmini. Nina adjusted her position and looked at the ominous clouds in the distant sky. Storms were prevalent and unpredictable on all the land. She sighed. The storm was definitely coming and had been haunting the lands of Inlustria for as long as she could remember. The storm was the bringer of death and despair, yet the people of the land lived with it. Minos, Nina's companion, was only gone a day but it had been days since her last meal. She finished the last of the water Minos left for her that morning. Nina could feel her body craving charms (or magic to someone not from the Mystics.) It was that or plain old hunger.

The grumbling sounds of the Armaci Nomads resonated through the trees around her. They were most likely making preparations to leave before the coming storm. Although the Armaci Nomads are lower-level users of magic, the desperate souls of the storm would spare no one if the storm did pass through the Arlac Forest. A mischievous thought passed through Nina's head. Normally, she wouldn't dare approach the Armaci Nomads without her companion, Minos. They always seemed to stare when Minos was around but carried on about their day after displeasing looks. The urge in her body for nourishment and magic replenishment, worsened when a breeze carried the familiar-smelling Armaci forest stew coming from the camp. Unable to resist the urge, Nina climbed, shadow-like, down the winding Arlac tree. Nina quietly stepped into the shadows of the trees outside the outskirts of the Armaci settlement. From a distance, she could see the Armacians packing up their settlement. The teasing smell of the stew whiffed past her nose and stirred her body into motion. Sticking to the shadows, she quietly moved towards the smell of the forest stew. Not many ingredients grew in the Arlac forest but the Armaci were known for extracting magical nutrients out of anything. She could hear the Armaci voices disappearing. She waited for the perfect moment to step out of the shadows. Just as she touched the light, a familiar dreadful voice called to her.

"Niiina, Nina!" The voice said, and snickers followed. " I could smell you in the air and who knew my charm-filled stew would draw you near!" Rolling her eyes, Nina cursed under her breath. It was Tria, head of the Armaci. She knew this would be trouble. Minos was miles away. She could tell they had been waiting for this moment. She turned around in a glamorous way that she had seen Minos do thousands of times and put on her best "dazzling" smile. A cloud of dust rose as she spun with a showman's flair. Her dark garments were covered in dust but it added to the flare she hoped would temporarily distract Tria.

"Tria! Tria! Oh, behooooold the great Tria! I only came down to bid thee farewell," Nina said with a dazzle, lowering her head in a bow and sweeping her hand forward in grandeur. Dust flew around as she wisped her hand forward.

Tria cackled. "Nina! Alone at last. I've felt your presence and I can't help but wonder..." Tria stepped towards Nina and Nina flinted gracefully backward and struck a pose against the Arlac tree she climbed down from. Feigning grandeur, she was running out of options as more Armacians began to approach their leader, noticing the swirls of dust in the forest air. The Armacians were known for extracting magic from anything and, since the land had been cursed, many were afflicted with a magical sickness. The Armaci talents had evolved into something close to what desperate beings do: extracting magic from living beings. Nina could feel the desire coming from Tria. She looked so thin. Her golden braids were filled with specs of white and the forest shadows made her face look harsh. The magic she used was rumored to take a toll on the body of the user. Tria no longer looked like the woman Nina saw just months earlier. Maybe it was a strong desire causing her magic to show her true form. Nina could feel terror as Tria took another step toward her. Nina hid her growing fear behind her smile. Tria's eyes turned red and her face twisted into a disgusting smile.

"Oh Nina, I can feel something delicious growing in you. Such an aura I feel. I would be foolish to pass on this. I wonder what blood lies in you!" Tria rushed toward Nina. Anticipating her move, Nina acted quickly. She knew a spell that Minos had done so many times. She had wanted to try it but Minos insisted that she always reserve her magic, unsure if magical sickness would affect her.

Letting go of her reservations, Nina smirked and jumped and began to recite the spell, "Arli vi--"

Just as she began the spell, another Armacian darted from the left towards her. Quickly, she jumped up into a tree, dodging the grasp of the Armacian. Other Armacians began to run towards the commotion. Seeing the Armacians rush towards her, Tria cackled louder, " Ninnnnna!" She called in a disgusting squeal. Tria appeared right in Nina's face. Her smile faded and fear showed as she saw the look of lust on Tria's face up close. It struck her soul and she could hear her thoughts of devouring her energy radiating in her brain. She had never been able to hear a person's thoughts and she froze. Before Tria grabbed her, Nina darted as fast as her small limbs would take her through the tops of the Arlac trees.

Tria screeched after her but Nina disappeared further into the Alrac forest towards the signs of the storm, knowing the Armacians fear the storm more than anything. She knew he would be upset but she would go to Tarmni and look for Minos and, hopefully, together they would find supplies before the storm.