A Search for Charms

The wind was whipping the buildings around them but Minos' stare seemed to distract her from everything. He was smiling but she knew it wouldn't be long before he began to fuss at her. She continued to grin, hoping that he would stay calm and smile. Just as she thought, his smile quickly disappeared.

"Just once would you listen to me? Every time that I leave your side you think that I will not return," Minos said in a quiet, angry whisper. "Why do you think so lowly of me and WHAT are you doing here?!"

His stare was deadly but she knew him too well and was unmoved. It was not very common for people from different lands to travel together and Nina never understood why they stuck together the way that they did. He knew that she felt it was temporary. She crossed her arms and stared back. "Well, how long did you expect me to wait for you?" she rebutted, smugly knowing that he would not want to argue with her.

Their companionship seemed to continue despite how many times she thought that he had finally abandoned her. She frowned at the memories of the many times she would awaken and he would be gone. She would instantly think that he had no intention of returning, but oddly enough, he would always return with food or something that would benefit her. In her opinion, it would have been more beneficial to him if he had just kept it all for himself.

"Whatever, just prepare yourself and stay close. The storm is just beginning," Minos said, avoiding an argument. He began to look out into the storm. The sounds of screams were in the distance but she knew better than to underestimate the Desperate. They had been separated on many occasions; most often, during times when lost souls became manic in search of magic.

This year seemed worse than years before. More people in the land of Inlustria are becoming a part of the lost soul, dangerously close to becoming a Desperate.

"I had to find you," She said quietly to him. "I was careful. I swear to you the plan was to wait patiently for you but—." Under his cloak, Minos sighed. "I know you would do better without me but I just had to catch up because —." Without speaking, Minos touched his index finger gently to her lips to silence her clumsy exudes, something he did often. He then reached into his cloak. Nina smiled, realizing that he is reaching for a small loaf of Kila bread, a special bread made with pieces of Kila fish, native to Elsyia. He broke it in half and they ate quickly as the desperate moans and screams of the other lost souls echoed through the night. Nina knew that it was important that they found something with charms to fuel their magic. Minos was beginning to weaken. She could always feel his energy around her, but it wasn't very strong.

Unlike her, he could not go long periods without charms. He also likes to use spells, which makes charms more necessary. There had been times when they had to separate in fear that he would become a lost soul and become a Desparate and attack her. Somehow, he always made it and found her again. She knew that tonight, Minos would have to join in the chaos to restore his magic. Her body shivered as a closer scream shook through the building. She was never really afraid, but she always feared that Minos would be hurt or even killed in an attempt to replenish magic.

"As you know, tonight I must try and find charms and I hope that you will too, for it has been so long since you have had any. I fear that I might lose you," he said in a whisper.

Shocked that he wanted her to participate, she replied, "But, I do not feel any different other than weakness!"

"I do not care, Nina. You need charms if you are of the lost. It cannot be helped!" Minos was exasperated, but he knew that they both must find charms and soon because they both were becoming so thin that they may turn into the Desperate. "Please, just try. I will protect you"

"I'm not afraid," She said softly.

"Well, let's go."

Swiftly than most, Minos moved through the shadows in the direction of the moving dark figures. Keeping a short distance behind, Nina followed. Instead of going directly into the chaos, Minos leads them to the outer left edge of the buildings surrounding them, careful to draw as little attention to them as possible. He knew that Nina attracted desperate because she smelled of charms. However, since it had been so long since she had charms, her smell was not as noticeable. He could move much faster than he was moving but he had to make sure Nina could keep up. The sounds of the chaotic mass of lost souls feasting on the flesh of the one who had consumed the charms gave him chills. Minos knew that nights like this drew the darkest lost souls out of hiding. The lost are cursed people who were once the Common, the Mid, or even High-Born.