Game of Chase

The sound of the wind howling and screams of the lost souls ravaged outside the shelter echoed around her.

Where am I?

Nina groaned, opened her eyes, and sat up but soon noticed she was not alone. Her eyes had not yet adjusted to the darkness but she could see well enough.

Trying to break through the loud sounds of the night, she yelled out, "MINOS!"

"Nnnnn," a muffled sound called back to her. She knew instantly it was Minos. In the dark of the room, she could see the silhouette of someone close to her. "Minos, I am coming, " She said, shuffling toward him.

"Stop right there." Nina flinched but continued to shuffle towards Minos. "I said, stop right there." This time the voice was louder. It filled the room and it made goosebumps appear on Nina's neck.

"Who are you!" Nina yelled, determined not to back down from the stranger. She could tell from his consuming energy that it was the pursuer.

"Aspiri tulle," the man whispered, and the room suddenly was illuminated just enough for her to see him. Dressed in all black, he looked just as fierce as he did when he attacked them earlier. He was dressed in a fine black cloak with silver accents. His boots were of the finest leather, dyed black as night. His hair cascaded around his head like a shadow of black curls. It looked as if a crown of black fire with two silver streaks glinting at both sides of his temple. His eyes appeared to glow at first, then faded to black. He stepped closer to Nina and Minos made a muffled sound. She moved closer to the bound and gagged Minos who she could see now. He had a poorly dressed wound on his neck and his eyes were menacing despite the cloth gag in his mouth. Nina reaches out to touch him.

"Tsk. Tsk. No touching," the stranger said. Nina hesitated and frowned.

She stood up, angry but cautious, "Who are you?"

He ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "I am Dominus of the Royal Magic House of Zirus in Umbrawood." At the mention of Umbrawood, Nina's eyes widened. She had only heard the stories of Umbrawood. She knew about the old magic that resided there through stories told to her by people on their travels. He was watching her intently and could tell that she knew sufficient for him to continue. "I am from a secret order of Keepers and I was notified by a Finder of your location."

Nina looked at Minos and his eyes appeared even more menacing. She could feel the magic in him growing in response to what the strange man was saying. Minos never mentioned Finders or Keepers but he could tell from his eyes that it was not something an average person would say. She decided to remain calm, " Why did you attack us?"

Dominus let out a sound of impatience. "The woman who withered away. You know the one I speak of... She was one of the last of the Finders. She informed me of your location. She sacrificed her life to pass this information."

Nina frowned, frustrated. "I do not care who you are or where you are from. I did nothing to that woman. The storm is peaking and we are just trying to collect a few charms and leave." She stood up for more emphasis, hoping the man would accept the rejection and leave.

Minos looked at Nina as she stood bravely in front of the magician. He could feel some kind of magical energy rising in Nina. He was fragile from the earlier attack. He could feel his anger welling up within him. HE wanted to protect her.

"Listen, we must hurry before the Magus makes his move. There are already whispers of where you are. The Finders have been tasked with finding a Diolass and that particular one used every bit of her magic to notify The Order," Dominus said, taking a step towards them. Both Nina and Minos froze at the mention of the Magus. The Magus had been haunting the minds of the people all over the Land of Elysia for over 50 years. He is the rumored source of the terrorizing storms.

"We should leave now..."

Minos thought to himself. Dominus' talk of the Magus was a clear sign that they were in some situation that he would rather avoid. He glanced around the room when Dominus added light, but he only saw a dark hallway.

Nina noticed the hallway behind Dominus. She reached for Minos' arm and started to help him stand. "Let us make a run for it," she whispered to Minos with her arms around him.

"I said no touching the filth," exasperated Dominus spoke quietly. "Llis al vurnim." The spell pushed Minos far across the room away from Nina.

"Argggh," Minos let out a groan in the darkness. He had worked his way out of the gag and his hand was finally free after much effort. "Retrium Yunina," Minos spoke as quietly as he could. The spell returned him to Nina's side.

Filled with anger, Nina did not notice Minos had returned to her side. Armed with emotion, she somehow blasted Dominus with the charms she felt raging inside her. " You will never get your way with me!" She bolted for the hallway hoping to pray that Minos would find his way to her as he always had. Her footsteps were heavy and her legs were weak. A crack in the pavement caught her toe.

"Oh no..."

She thought as she felt herself fall forward towards the darkness. Suddenly, she felt an arm grab her. She could tell from the aura it was Minos. Catching her footing, they both continued to run into the darkness hoping to find a way out of the ruins.

"There is no point in playing this game of chase," Dominus's voice was suddenly in front of them. They both stopped in their tracks. Dominus could feel their anger and he laughed aloud. "The followers of Magus will be looking for you soon. They will kill your little friend and anyone else who tries to stop them."

Minos squeezed Nina's hand. He was angry. She could feel it. She was angry. They had no idea who this man was, but he was powerful and there was no way they could outrun him. She looked at Minos. She could see his menacing eyes. He was ready to fight but she did not want to see him hurt while he was already so weak. Before Minos could make a move, she spoke, "If I go, Minos goes with me." She stood boldly in front of Minos, determined to protect him.