chapter.19

daisy

His strong heartbeat comforted her, muffled under his sweatshirt but it was still there, a constant to focus on. It was confident and real. It reassured her that he was really there stroking her bare back under her clothes, his rough hands providing warmth.

Seth had told her many times that he was there, and he wouldn't leave her ever again, sniffling into her hair as he did so. She believed him, she really did. If she didn't, he definitely seemed determined to smother her until she did so.

It was almost like she had to comfort him with how remorseful he was. But of course, Daisy didn't give him that satisfaction. She just allowed him to repeat his sorry words and relished in his coddling, giving herself permission to feel safe in his arms.

There was nothing but the faint sounds of prisoners talking. Daisy and Seth hadn't said anything for a while now. He had now stopped incessantly apologising and she was zoned out - eyes stinging and swollen shut, lips chapped and cut from her self-inflicted injury and nose sore from wiping the snot on the many wads of tissues beside her. 

She was vaguely aware of what had happened after Seth came to save her, but the memories were cloudy. After a while of uncontrollable cries into his chest, she slowly grew tired of the action, exhausted and drained. He carried her to his room - her old room. She recognised the smell and the stuffed cow toy that greeted her, unaware of what she had been through.

"Angel, baby, I'm sorry. Do you understand?" He desperately asked in her hair, holding onto her tighter. She didn't say anything but nuzzled her nose deeper into him, preferring to delay talking about the situation and would rather ignore it altogether. He didn't let her though. He halted his strokes, which made her whine and do a little shake, indirectly asking him to do continue.

"No more until you answer me, love. I'm worried if you don't say anything you'll turn mute." She wondered if that would be such a bad idea. Her past life didn't involve making her opinions known. It was only Seth that actually liked listening to her. "Words, Angel. Speak," he begged seriously now.

Sighing, she swallowed some saliva to wet her dry throat and managed to croak out, "it's not your fault."

"Don't be ridiculous. Of course, it is my fault." He seemed insulted that she said otherwise. "If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't have been anywhere near that scumbag. I would've been able to protect you. I thought they'd put you in a cell alone. I told them to put you in your own cell." Seth held her firmly closer to him as he explained, getting angrier as he recounted his experience.

"Y-you couldn't have known what was going to happen," she whispered. Daisy didn't put more effort in comforting the man. She was there for solace of him, not to ease Seth of his guilt. Nevertheless, she wasn't going to lie to him and make him feel worse than he already clearly does - it wasn't in her nature.

"It only happened because I was jealous and angry. I refused to listen to you because of it," he admitted honestly. "It's like I had something pure that made me feel happy for once in my life and I couldn't believe it. I self-sabotaged and believed all the wrong thoughts in my head."

He wasn't wrong. Daisy was in no way mad at him about the attack, but she did resent him a little for breaking up with him and letting his jealousy ruin them. "You don't trust me. I am mad at you about that."

"You have every right to be mad at me little angel. I'll prove to you that I do trust you, I promise. It was my insecurities. I saw this guy that was out, free and ready to give you the world whereas I can give you nothing. You are my everything Daisy but I worry I can't be yours."

She scoffed. "Now who's b-being ridiculous." But that was the thing with insecurities, everyone had them and it's almost impossible for anyone to be rid of them. She would just have to reassure him that he is everything she'd ever need and more. However, reassuring Seth was low on her list of priorities at the moment. "Just leave me alone," she groaned defeatedly. Though she then contradicted herself by snuggling into his chest more, taking comfort in the man that annoyed her.