13

Unfortunately, Cory and I were still required to attend the Homecoming Game and Dance as they decided not to completely wipe us from the Court after our entrance fiasco. Instead, we both received after school detention—I got one week, Cory got two because he actually had the profane word written on him.

Cory knew that would happen too. He insisted on being the FUCK, knowing that person would likely get in more trouble, which was sweet of him.

The Homecoming Game was about as boring as one would imagine. Everyone on the Court was forced to sit in the first row of bleachers and during halftime we all had to stand on the field while Principal Newtown announced each of us to the attendees like we were show ponies. Luckily I had Sean and Cory beside me the whole time.

Cory and I snuck off to his car probably three times throughout the game to smoke. Gabi came with us the last time. We invited Sean, but each time he just shook his head, giving me an extra curious and disapproving side-eye. At one point, while I was in Cory's car, he texted me.

From: Sean

Everything ok with you and Cory?

After hitting the joint and passing it back to Cory, I replied.

To: Sean

Yeah, definitely. Why?

From: Sean

Nothing, I guess. You guys just seem closer and idk if I trust him.

I almost laughed out loud. Of all the guys who could hurt me, Cory was probably the least to be concerned about. I couldn't tell Sean why though. It wasn't my secret to tell.

From: Sean

I just don't want you getting into trouble, Al.

To: Sean

I trust him. And I cause my own trouble, Seany ;) You know that.

We ended up beating San Ramon by 9 points and of course Blake was acting—and being treated—like he'd won the Superbowl. My favorite part of the game was watching Ezra interview Blake for the school newspaper on the field during halftime. At the end of the interview, they exchanged a bro hug that seemed genuine. Like they respected one another. I was a little baked at the time, so maybe that's why I smiled so wide. But still, it was wholesome to witness two worlds, colliding.

I met up with Rachel and Lindsay after the game ended. We were all riding back to Lindsay's house to get ready for the dance, and Rachel scolded me the second she saw my face.

"Seriously, Allie, you're high?" she said as one finger reached out to touch the skin beneath my left eye, pulling it down slightly. I assumed the white around my blue irises were spidering with red webs.

I smacked her hand away. "Got to stay entertained somehow because God knows football doesn't do it."

We almost made it to Lindsay's car when I heard my name called from a voice I did not want to engage with.