33

I was wasted.

The second I arrived at Lindsay's, I changed into the dress I had specifically bought for my birthday—a short, gold dress with spaghetti straps and a plunging neckline that clung to my body mercilessly.

Then I took a shot. Then another.

By the time our friends started arriving I'd already had three shots and two hard seltzers.

Lindsay told me to slow down. I ignored her. I already wanted to forget tonight. I wanted to forget my mother's cold eyes. My father's ignorant smile.

Sean, Chad, Brian, and a few of the Varsity Basketball boys were the first to arrive, which I wasn't surprised by. Sean promised he would be here at exactly 9:30, when the party technically started, and he kept his word.

"Happy Birthday!" my blonde best guy friend cheered, engulfing me in a hug that lifted me off the ground and spun me around.

I let out a slurred laugh. "Thank you, Seany."

Chad and Brian gave me a hug each before Brian produced a fifth of tequila, handing it to me like it was the holy grail. "For you."

I smirked. "It's everything I've ever wanted."

The three boys laughed.

To no one's surprise, the other boys had already found the ping-pong table, where they would likely stay all night. Except for Liam and Caleb, who beelined it for my two best friends. Liam leaned down to give Rachel a peck and Caleb slipped an arm around Lindsay's waist, and I found myself glancing toward the front door, wondering when both Spencer and Tyler were going to arrive.

I shook the ridiculous, drunken thought from my mind as Sean slung his arm around my shoulders. "So. Tequila shots?"

"Do you have to ask?" I questioned, slipping out of Sean's grip to walk towards the kitchen where Lindsay had a stack of plastic shot glasses ready. Sean grinned at me and followed.

Groups of people trickled in quickly after that. It was mostly the usual crowd. Rory sounded faker than usual when she gave me a hug and wished me a happy birthday. She also commented on how Lindsay's house was smaller than she expected. Bitch.

Landon, who arrived with her among a slew of others in the popular crowd, also told me happy birthday. Luckily, he didn't go in for the hug. I simply nodded at him and walked away.

Spencer arrived with the Varsity Football guys around 10. Naturally, our eyes found each other's almost instantly and his face lit up the room, which was saying a lot since Lindsay had decked out the house with lights, gold streamers, and balloons.

Blake also caught my eye for a fleeting moment. I was particularly drawn to the short blonde who was attached to him like a leech. His girlfriend.

Spencer and Kevin made their way over to me only a few minutes after arriving. I was clearly intoxicated because it almost seemed like they floated across the room. Spencer had his arms wrapped around my waist the second he was in reach. His husky voice, which usually sent tingles to my lower half, did nothing for me as he leaned down to whisper in my ear, "Happy Birthday, Al."

"Thank you," I replied politely, pulling away and taking a large gulp of my second vodka soda of the night.

Kevin gave me a side hug and a monotone 'happy birthday' before leaving us to be alone.

Despite already having done a once over of my body during his walk towards me, Spencer looked me up and down again now that I was arm's length. His eyes darkened lustfully. "You look amazing."

"Thank you," I repeated with a forced smile. My skin felt hot, almost clammy, and before he could say anything else I continued, "Drinks are in the kitchen. I've got to make a few rounds but help yourself."