Chapter Thirteen

Rooster spent the rest of the night at Sophie's to try and get the alcohol out of her system. Training is going to be a bitch for her tomorrow. He gave her water, ibuprofen, and a cold shower in hopes to sober her up before he was able to get her in bed.

He looks at the brunette who was fast asleep, finally. Sophie had gotten a second wind once they got back to her apartment and it had been quite a process to get her to fall asleep again. She had been trying to get to her tequila on the kitchen counter and the beer in her fridge any chance she got. Rooster felt like he was babysitting a toddler.

Though, he couldn't help but smile at her sleeping soundly. He would do this a thousand times over if it meant he got to be with her. She was confusing and frustrating and infuriating at times, but she was everything to him. He didn't want anyone else. He wanted her. Bradley wanted to go through the highs and lows of life with Sophie by his side.

When the morning came around, Bradley made sure he was the first one to wake up. He started a pot of coffee for them, knowing she was going to need it to get through the day. He heard the alarm finally going off and groaning coming from the bedroom. He poured her a cup and brought it to her in bed. He opened the blinds, letting the bright California sunshine into her dark room. Sophie whined about the brightness before turning over and putting a pillow over her face, attempting to block out the light.

Bradley puts the mug on her nightstand and sits on the bed next to her. He strokes her tangled hair, "Time to wake up and face the music of hurricane Razor." Amusement was laced in his voice.

"Fuck you," she puts her middle finger up in the air toward the man, making him laugh.

He pulls the blanket off of her, causing Sophie to complain about the cold air hitting her body. "You need to get up now," he laughs between his words, "You have a lot of shit to get together before you get to training this morning."

Sophie begrudgingly gets out of the comfort of her bed, but not without curses being mumbled in Bradley's direction.

"What was that," he asks, poking fun at her. He was enjoying himself way too much.

She grabs the mug and sips the warm beverage, hoping it will help her get through the day. She looked at herself in the mirror and audibly gasped. Her hair was tangled and all over the place. She looked at her eyes; they had bags underneath them. It was obvious that she hadn't gotten much sleep in the past couple of days. Rooster was right, she had a lot of work to do.

She looks over to her savior and raises her eyebrows. "Nothing, but I am going to need more coffee."

"Yes ma'am," he says, grabbing her mug to refill. He was happy to see her in better spirits this morning compared to the past two days. He knew he needed to talk to her about his feelings, how he'd always felt, but now wasn't the time. They had to get her through this day of training first.

***

All the aviators looked in between each other as Cyclone continued to speak about the new mission perimeters. They had been notified that Maverick had been pulled as their instructor and that they were changing the mission approach. They would be entering the valley at reduced speeds and higher air levels. The reasoning, they'd have a fighting chance against the bandits. What chance did they have flying head-first into a canyon?

Razor was not happy, to say the least, along with many of the other recruits. She looks over at her WSO, agitation clear on her face. "There's no chance for us if we go in like this," she whispers to him. Rebound scoffs and shakes his head in discouragement. He agreed with Razor. They knew the mission they were training for was dangerous, but it was the only way they'd even have a chance to come out alive.