eMergence II

"It was weird," Lauren says, shaking her head, eyes flicking around her room. "It didn't feel like a dream."

"But Andy was there?" Ivee asks, gently rubbing the girls arm.

She nods. "He looked older, different."

"Where were you?" Caitlin asks, sitting next to Lauren.

Lauren looks at her mother. She shrugs, closing her eyes. "It was a parking garage," she answers. "I could see the Capitol."

Caitlin smiles. "So, you were here? In the city—"

"Cait," Reed says, interrupting her before she could spiral. "Let her catch her breath."

"I am just trying to figure out what happened," Caitlin insists. "This could be important."

Ivee meets Lauren's eyes, and the girl shakes her head. "It could have just been a dream," Ivee says.

"They used their powers together, Ivee," Caitlin says, shaking her head, eyes wide. "I mean the three of you said you could see through each other's eyes—"

"Mom," Lauren says softly. "It might not have been him. It's all fuzzy now, and... I'm sorry."

"No, it's... it's all right," Caitlin says, smoothing down Lauren's hair. She looks disappointed but she's trying to hide it. "Let's just... forget it." Lauren nods, wiping the tears off her face. Caitlin rests her hand on the side of her face, leaning forward and kissing her on the forehead. "I'm gonna go get you something to drink."

Lauren nods as her mother gets up and leaves the room. She rests her head on Ivee's shoulder. Ivee wraps her arms around the girl.

"You two should try and get some rest," Reed says, smiling sympathetically and steps out of the room.

"Are you okay?" Ivee asks when he's out of earshot.

Lauren shakes her head. "I just..." she sighs. "I know it was him, but he was so different. It was almost like he was a different person. Do you think—" she takes a breath— "do you think he had the same dream?"

Ivee chews on her bottom lip. "Maybe," she says. "But why now? I mean this hasn't happened before."

"Yeah," Lauren sighs. "Mom could be right," she says. "He could be close."

"And if he is," Ivee says, blinking quickly and looking up. "Then so is the rest of the Hellfire club."

——————————

Lorna steps around the glass structure, checking the joints in between each panel. She looks up at Mark as he fits two of the sections together. "Make sure these are tight," she says, pointing to the joints. "The joints need to be sealed."

"Yeah, they're in," He nods.

Andy steps over to him. "Just make sure you double check, okay?" he says and turns back to Lorna as Reeva and Esme walk over to them.

"Lorna," Reeva says. "We've been chatting with the doctor. He's concerned that you shouldn't be exerting yourself."

Lorna shakes her head. "I'm just getting things ready. I'm fine."

"Ms. Dane, with all due respect," the doctor says. "You had a pre-term contraction that moved a 6,000-pound car. You should be on bed rest immediately."

Lorna glances between Reeva and Esme. Esme nods, smiling sympathetically at her. "Fine," she says.

Reeva looks at Andy. "Andrew, would you mind helping them outside?"

Andy glances down at Lorna. "Uh, yeah. Of course," he nods and turns to follow the Frosts as they walk towards the door.

Lorna grabs his arm when Reeva walks away, turning him back to face her. "I need to talk to you," she says, looking back to make sure Reeva was out of ear shot.