Chapter 16 | The last dark night

"I'm so glad I finally found you. .. I've been looking for you for so long, in the city, in the woods, even going back to our parents' house, ... despite all the terrible news people in town have told me about them." said Hua Cheng as he broke the embrace and looked into his brother's tearful eyes again.

Wei Ying's little and broken smile slowly disappeared.

"Terrible news? ... What news did they tell you about our parents?" asked Wei Ying.

Even before Hua Cheng could answer, Lan Zhan interrupted.

"Now you tell us, how did you find us?" asked the suspicious alpha

"Now you tell us, how did you find us?" asked the suspicious alpha. Lan Zhan finished dressing the wound on his leg using a simple torn piece of cloth. Wei Ying turned back to him and helped him stand up.

"With a little help." replied Hua Cheng, then cast a glance at Wen Ning. Lan Zhan and Wei Ying followed his gaze.

Wen Ning stood a little further away from them, and looked at the alpha members of his former and fallen pack. There wasn't much sorrow in his eyes for them, because they were never his friends.

"Who is he?" asked Wei Ying, still looking at Wen Ning.

"His name is Wen Ning, and he is Wen Qing's younger brother."

"So, a Wen is your friend?" asked Lan Zhan, in a faintly condemning tone.

"It sounds unbelievable, but yes, he is. ... Wen Ning was the first, but not the only one I could count on after Wen Ruohan let me out of prison. Even though Wen Ning was part of Ruohan's pack, he still helped me a long time ago, and that hasn't changed since. .. By the way, me and Wen Ning got here by following that Jiang beta. It was your father's idea after we helped him bring down that pathetic pack of 'Purple Eggplant' he was fighting on his own." said Hua Cheng, and then he went to the Wen Ning.

"What kind of eggplant is he talking about ..??" asked Lan Zhan.

"Uhm, .. that's what he calls the Jiang pack leader." explained Wei Ying to Lan Zhan.

"Wen Ning, you escort Lan Zhan back to his father's house. My brother and I are going to Xie Lian's." said Hua Cheng, then turned to Lan Zhan. - "I guess you're already very worried about your dad, aren't you?"

"Of course, I'm worried about him and want to know if he's okay. But at the same time, I don't want Wei Ying to go with you."

"Why not? What's your problem with that? .. Maybe you don't trust me?" asked Hua Cheng.

"I don't even trust that you can protect him. ... You weren't even there when the alphas attacked him or your parents."

Hua Cheng stepped angrily in front of Lan Zhan.

"You seem to have forgotten that I'm his brother, while you're just a ..." started Hua Cheng.

"Okay, enough." - interjected Wei Ying and stood between the two alphas. - "Calm down, both of you. ... Hua Cheng, I'm sorry, but right now I want to go with Lan Zhan. I'd also like to know if everything's okay with Mingjue, but I don't want you to leave again. Can you come with us, please?" asked the omega.