Chapter 2 - Kiss

I heard the sound of the front door slamming shut and looked up from my cracked computer screen to see my aunt Briana walk in with a fake smile on her face

I heard the sound of the front door slamming shut and looked up from my cracked computer screen to see my aunt Briana walk in with a fake smile on her face. Does she know she has lipstick on her bleached white teeth, or should I tell her? I should probably tell her.

Just as I was about to open my mouth, Briana tossed her purse at me. I scrambled to catch it, the computer almost dropping from my lap. "Be a dear and hang this up for your poor aunt, hm?"

I sighed and replied, "Yes, Aunt Briana."

"Don't slouch, it's very unbecoming of you," she sniffed, throwing her heels next to the shoe rack. Not on the shoe rack. Next to it. Because taking the time to put them on a shelf was unbecoming of her. "Your mother would be very displeased."

I stiffened at the mention of my mother and muttered, "I'll do better."

"Speak up, child!"

"I'll do better, Aunt Briana," I said monotonously as I hung up her jacket, which she left on the couch, in the coat closet. I couldn't help but notice the Gucci logo written in gold studs on the back. The jacket was bright pink and ugly as shit.

If it was a different logo, I'm sure it would have been seen as unacceptable in society, but brands make bold stances. I wonder what it would be like if I wore it.

I knew that Aunt Briana had money, which was possibly the only reason why my dad kept her around. Or maybe it was because they were best friends with equally awful mannerisms. But hey, they're family.

Aunt Briana frowned when I walked back into the kitchen. "What have you been eating?"

I looked down to where she was staring at my top, which had gotten a bit shorter on me since it shrunk in the laundry. "Is there something wrong with this?"

"Dear god," she fanned her face. I bit back the urge to roll my eyes. "It doesn't even fit around your chest anymore! You look like a tramp."

"Excuse me?" I folded my arms over my chest self-consciously.

Aunt Briana laughed and said, "Never mind that, darling. You're gorgeous. We'll buy one that fits over your new body."

I nodded slowly and said, "You don't have to."

"Oh, but I must! You're my only niece, after all. We're family." She spat out the word like it was bitter in her mouth.

"If you insist," I said, pulling on oven mittens. I was just pulling the casserole out of the oven when my brother Jake barged into the kitchen in his football gear, knocking into me in the process.

I hissed when the hot oven grill pressed against my bare arm, causing it to burn. "What the fuck, Jake?"

"Watch your language," Jake snapped before putting on the smile that I've always hated, the one that made people relax and want to do anything for him. At one point, I was one of those people. "Calm down, little sister," he said as he placed his hand around the burn, making me wince. "It's just a little burn," he whispered in my face, his grip tightening before he let my throbbing arm go.