Chapter Ten

As expected, both Jere and his father were waiting for Alera at the stables as they had planned. She could almost feel the tension as she approached, but only when Jere saw her did that relief wash over him. He was genuinely concerned for her, and that unexpectedly made her heart soar to a height she never expected.

"I'm sorry," she breathed as she approached. "I was unfortunately... delayed."

Jere arched a brow in question, as if waiting for her to further explain. She only shook her head—she would be happy to never have to think about it ever again.

"We were concerned, Princess," Palo said as he approached, with a bow in one hand and a quiver of arrows in the other.

"What's this?" she asked as she accepted the offered weapons.

"Jere had told me how your father allowed you to train with them, and so I think you'll have more use out of these now than I ever will."

She looked between the two men curiously.

"They were my mother's," Jere offered. "Neither of us were ever very good with them. So it'll be nice to see them put to use."

She gave him a smile and returned her attention to Palo. "Thank you. To you. And to your wife."

Palo's smile was sad, but he cleared his throat. "If you need some time to get used to them before we depart, Princess, I suggest you do so now. And quickly."

Alera shook her head as she looped them over her shoulders. "The one thing my father allowed me was to know how to shoot a bow. Like it was a tradition he knew he would never be able to properly pass down because he never had a son to teach, and his pride for the better of him. When he refused to marry, he knew the knowledge would die with him, so he reluctantly taught me." She looked to Jere as she added, "It's the only reason I was allowed the freedom to visit the stables so often."

The stableboy gave her a smile in response, and Palo cleared his throat. "Then we should not delay any longer—the night grows dark and we have much ground to cover."

She nodded and turned back to Jere, who was already mounting the saddle to the tamed wild horse. Placing a foot in the stirrup, he offered her a hand up and she easily climbed into the saddle behind him, hugging him with her legs and wrapping her arms around him. She felt him tense, but only for a moment before he relaxed back into her and she smiled as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Are you ready to begin your life, Princess?" he glanced back at her and asked her softly.

She nodded against him. "I've never been more sure of anything before in my life."

"Good."

Palo had mounted his own horse and was already kicking into a gallop as Jere followed, and Alera dared one glance behind her as the castle slowly disappeared out of sight behind them.

-----

Palo's plan was to take them to the forest. The inherent fear of what lay within would be enough of a deterrent to keep anyone from following. It was why Alera was shunned as much as she was—her mother's people lived within those trees that superstition separated from the rest of the world.

"It's the only way," Palo said as they cantered next to each other. "But gaining entry is the greatest concern."

"Not to mention, once we are within, how we will find our way through," Jere added.

"What do you mean?" Alera asked softly, afraid that if her voice was too loud, anyone else could hear them.

"This forest is tricky to maneuver and ever-changing," the stable master told her, his voice almost as low as hers was. "It will play with your mind and get you lost within its mazes and shadows."