Chapter Twenty

Alera knew where the wolves rested and asked Jere to remain behind while she approached. Whether or not they were attuned to her mother didn't matter now— they were still wolves and she knew what they were capable of when threatened and she was not going to contribute to any additional stresses to them or to her.

The four wolves immediately became alert as she approached, ears erect and listening to every footfall she made. But there were no growls, no teeth bared. She was not a threat, and they knew it, but they were still cautious and curious about what brought her to their lair.

Her hands were spread out to show them that she meant to harm, and there were no weapons on her. She had purposefully left them behind— she wanted them to know she was there for them and with no other purpose in mind.

She wasn't even entirely what she was going to do, truth be told. Hevea told her to take the wolves, but they were still her mother's animals. And her mother was dead— what right did she have to them? She couldn't force them to do anything— she certainly wouldn't even if she could.

Crouching down, three of the four wolves sat back on their haunches, while the larger silver male stepped forward. The alpha, she assumed, if she was to know anything about pack dynamics. The way the other wolves reacted to him was not out of fear, but out of respect... a true leader. She knew too many who could learn from the wolves.

The alpha wolf stopped in front of her, but did not sit. Instead he held her gaze, as if waiting for... something.

She swallowed.

"I was told to see you by Hevea," she said softly as she looked to the other wolves before addressing the Alpha. "I know you were fond of my mother, and now I hope you will trust me as you once did her."

She held out her hand to the wolf, not certain it she should keep it palm up to be smelled or licked or neutral to see what he would do. As it was he stared at it. And then at her. As if waiting for her to speak more.

"I have to return to my kingdom. Where Vessa once resided. I have to save my people, just as I know she had the same intentions when she left you in the first place. And now, for her spirit, I am asking you to come with me. To make right the wrongs that have been done to the forest, and those beyond it."

The alpha male took a step forward, as if encouraging her to go on. His neck was just in reach, and he angled towards her. Reaching out her hand, she cautiously pet the wolf's silver main, and as her fingers brushed against the wolf's pelt, a small shock of recognition, not unlike the one she had felt with Jere in the stables after what seemed like so long ago... without asking she knew. She and the alpha were connected, and through the alpha was her connection with the remainder of the pack. Was this how her mother was able to communicate with them? Could this be why they seemed to want to stay so close with her?

"Can you understand me?" she whispered.

The alpha wolf seemed to bow its head. Where you go, our queen, so do we.

Not words. Not pictures. Both but none at all. Sights and smells and sounds all conveying the same thoughts.

The wolves began howling in unison, as if in agreement and salute.

Tears welled in Alera's eyes as she looked at each one.

"Thank you," she whispered out loud. "And I know Vessa thanks you too."

***

A small procession had gathered outside of their cabin by the time Alera returned with the wolves in her wake. The forest fae seemed to nod and bow their heads as she passed, but she was uncertain if the gestures were for her or for the wolves that followed.

It took her a few moments to realize why. Within the cabin were Jere and Palo... and Hevea. All three were sitting at the small table in the center of the room, but where Jere and his father stood, Hevea remained seated, but he had a content smile on his face.

"It seems the wolves listened."

She nodded. "But why are you here? Shouldn't you be in bed resting still?"

He waved a dismissive hand in the air. "You sound no better than those healers who think they know my capabilities better than I do. But no— I am here to make sure you are seen to for a proper farewell as deserving our people." He looked to Jere. "For both of you."

Because these are his people just as much as they are hers. And he would be coming with her. But it made her turn towards Palo in question. He gave her a small smile and a nod.

"I've found my place here, Princess. There is no need to worry about me. I have done my time and followed through with my promise to both of you. And to my wife. I live with no regrets."

"Which means there is one thing left to do," Hevea interceded and from his lap, hidden beneath the table, was a bright red bundle wrapped in leather straps.

Alera knew that color. It was the same shade of the cloaks the archers and hunters wore when they were on the move through the forest. The same one that reminded her of blood splattered on the overgrowth.

"These cloaks are a symbol of our people. Your mother... she left hers behind when she made the choice to walk away from the world she knew in an attempt better a world that did not know her. She thought it would protect us, and you when the time came. But now we know better. We know it does not matter— we are not the ones who need protecting but the ones who do the protecting. And that is why this now belongs to you, Alera. Take it and protect those who need it."

Feeling the sentimental tears in her eyes, she gathered the red cloak up in her arms and hugged it to her chest. A deep inhale lingered on the scent of her mother that seemed to remain on everything of hers she still possessed, as if her very soul was left behind to let Alera know she was still there with her. She was never going to forget, especially with this.

"Now, there is one more gift for you."

Alera looked up as Hevea nodded to the healer by the door, who disappeared only to return a moment later with a bottle the size of their hand, which they placed on the table next to Hevea. The chief glanced to Jere and Palo, who both nodded to first Hevea and then bowed to Alera. Even with she was home, she was not used to such formalities. They left through the door, closing it behind them, leaving Alera and her grandfather alone in the hut's main room.

Slowly he stood, and she wanted to tell him to stop, to stay she'd come to him, but again he put a hand up to cease her efforts as he walked around the table to stand before her. Taking the potion between his hands, his attention turned solely to Alera. "This is my gift to you. A gift of me, of your blood. For with this, even the leaves will obey your command."

Uncorking the bottle, Hevea leaned forward and poured the potion over her head, allowing it to settle into her hand, her skin. Lifting her hands to where she felt it trickle down her neck, she pulled her fingers away so see them glow with golden glow, where ethereal vines twined around her hands until they disappeared as the potion soaked in.

"This will allow you to with nature around you. I had heard what had happened during the attack, at the response you received from the forest. Now you will no longer need the protection of the trees to beg them to your whim."

She looked over her hands one more time— no sign of the magical greenery remained but she felt... invigorated. Looking up to her grandfather, she smiled appreciatively and hugged him tight. "Thank you."

He let out a soft groan as she embraced him, and she had forgotten about his injury. But he did not let her go as he returned the hug she gave him.

"Be safe, Alera. And know you have people here who love who. Who always have. And who always will."