Chapter 30 | Other World

"BLOOD symbolizes a lot of things

"BLOOD symbolizes a lot of things." The master gets up to open a black ancient cabinet that was two heads higher than him, and its hinges creaked in an ear-splitting cry. "Blood is a strong connection shared among living souls—of families and friends."

He paused and cracked an unnerving smile at Clara and Emir, both helpless and sitting with tight lines on their faces. "Or"—the master wagged his finger and turned his back on them—"blood is simply the fluid, the life, that courses around a living being's body. However, to someone else, blood is power."

"And your point?" Emir leaned forward, growing restless.

The clock was ticking and Clara and Emir had no idea how much time had passed. The longer they stayed on the enemy's turf, the more danger they were in. As long as this conversation was going on, they could buy themselves more time to think of a plan. But to talk and strategize without the master knowing proved to be difficult.

The master placed a shallow ivory basin on the table, carved to the mouth with ancient runes and scriptures. It cast a red light around the room from the blood it contained.

"It isn't blood but water," the master said and Clara's head snapped in surprise. Had he been reading her thoughts just now?

He beckoned them closer and the two exchanged contemplative looks. An understanding passed between them. And as if having one mind, Clara and Emir stood and pored over the basin.

Indeed, it was not blood but water. The presence of the glowing red rock—the Essence—at the bottom of the basin made it look like blood.

Clara felt every muscle in her body freeze. Even at a safe distance, she couldn't help but shiver in fear at the thought that the Essence was once a person now only a memory. Not to mention the dream she had of Princess Anneliese as she fought for her life, triggered by an Essence they found in the hidden sanctum beneath the academy's forest ground. The fact that such an ominous object was found on the academy grounds, where every student should be safe and portals well-guarded didn't bode well for them.

And now she knew why those shadow monsters were sent after her. It was not some random prank set by another student. Something big out there wanted something out of her.

"Now I want you to dip your hands in the water," the master started. Clara and Emir, however, remained unmoving, both reluctant to yield. The master nodded once and began stroking his beard. "I swear you wouldn't want me to be anything but nice."

Clara glared. "Suppose we do as you say, what will happen if we are to dip our hands in the water?"

The master raised an eyebrow. "Aren't you curious how Hiestora came to be? What started our world? To witness it happen before you is a far better experience than reading it in a book." Then he flashed a smile that was too far from the kind she was used to seeing. "And I believe you are in no position to object."