Chapter 34 | They Hadn't the Foggiest

CLARA STARED dumbfounded at the huge gaping hole in the wall of Emir's prison cell

CLARA STARED dumbfounded at the huge gaping hole in the wall of Emir's prison cell. Her intense desperation caused the power within her to well and burst in a flash of silver light.

When the Fyrian guard opened the door to her cell, her powers hummed in an instant, restless and affronted. They abhorred suppression, and as soon as the door with anti-magic was out of the way, her powers demanded release.

Not only was she free of her prison but Clara also created their way out. The opening led to the line of trees outside. The moonlight scanned the forest bed and Clara's moon magic core purred in satisfaction. It was where two parts of her were drawn—the forest and the moon.

She leaped over the slumped body of the unconscious guards and weaved around debris for the semi-conscious prince.

"Prince Emir?" Clara tapped his cheek lightly which he responded with a low grunt. The prince must have hit the back of his head when the silver beam of light sent a strong wind in its wake. But if they had to get away fast, he must come to his senses at once.

Biting her lip, Clara reached for the magical energy in her Earth core, that swirling green wisp awaiting her call. It slithered through her veins into her fingertips with the calm and patience of nature.

She clasped one hand at the back of his neck, the other skimming over the rest of his body to soothe.

The prince stirred and opened his eyes not soon enough to witness the emerald glow in her hand of which the power could only be possessed by an Earthal.

With one hand on his head, Emir sat with Clara's insistence to help. He felt energized and well as if he'd slept for hours, which he had not done for quite a while. He should feel sore and dizzy. The prince swore he remembered hitting his head on something sold, yet there wasn't a single scratch at the back of his head.

There could be only one explanation, so he turned to her with eyes full of wonder.

"You healed me." And there was no doubt about it. Emir remembered feeling her touch and the warmth that came with it even when his eyes were closed.

"I did. And we have to get our hands free of those shackles." Clara swiped her hand vertically in the air and the chain which connected the manacles snapped in half.

"How are you feeling? Can you stand?" she said when the prince remained his stare pinned on her. Clara wounded a hand around his arm when a sudden spark made them flinch and pull apart.

Her lips parted as if she'd seen the prince in a new light. Clara didn't know what changed from those angular jaws and the way he clenched them as he returned that same intensity of attraction with his midnight eyes. His full lush lips were drawn in a thin line and his fists were balled, shaking, as if it took everything in him to resist the instinct of gathering the princess in his arms and showering her with...

Clara blushed and shook her head to drive away the obscene thought of her and the prince in an intimate position.

"It's the connection of our powers," he said, getting up, his face turned away from her. "They can recognize the bond—"