⇢ prelude

O V E R K I L L

E P I G R A P H

E P I G R A P H

"This overload is edging me further out to sea, I need to put some distances between overkill and me."

— Elton John, "Goodbye Marlon Brando"

"I'm used to packing up and leaving, to condensing myself into a digestible version because people don't have much time to get to know me."

— Halsey

☆☆☆

S Y N O P S I S

Cruella Queen is a bad idea. Or so Moxie King has been told.

There are three things Moxie King has always been able to count on her entire life: her parents' connections and stability, her razor-sharp instinct, and her brother and partner-in-crime, Mick. But all the help in the world can't prepare her for the cataclysm that is her collision with Cruella Queen.

Sure, Mick and Moxie have been familiar with the entertainment industry since their dapper diaper days thanks to their record label executive father and movie producer mother. And after releasing two critically successful EPs, you'd think dropping MONARCH, their debut album, in the summer of 2023 would mean having somewhat of a handle on things, but their lives blow up more than they could ever imagine, and by 2024 they're ready to embark on their first headlining tour.

Moxie isn't ready for Cruella Queen to come crashing into her life.

How does one describe Cruella Queen? For one, she recently won a Grammy Award for Best New Artist. On the other hand, she's made more headlines in recent months for her "questionable antics" than her music.

Surrendering to all of the chatter telling her to stay far, far away from the blonde starlet seems a little too convenient to Moxie. She knows just how easily the industry will raise up a fresh new face just to be able to cash in on their tragic downfall. And let's face it, Cruella isn't just fun to be around, she's also painfully gorgeous, even when she's trying too hard to take on the mantle of music's favorite villain.

(Moxie has always had a thing for rooting for the anti-hero.)

When Moxie finds herself gasping for air as Cruella inadvertently pulls her into her world, Moxie wonders if feeding her savior complex is worth reaching the point of mutually assured destruction.