04 | this is what makes us girl

No place in the world felt more like home than when Moxie stood on a stage performing right beside her brother. That was a discernible truth she understood for as long as she could remember. Having a father in the music industry helped give her a leg (or two) up and endowed her with opportunities beyond her wildest dreams—she never took that for granted nor pretended as if he wasn't a significant factor in her career, as doing so would be incredibly silly and also undermine her and her fellow artists' hard work—but she was convinced she would have discovered it no matter her upbringing. She very likely wouldn't have gotten the chance to stand where she stood today—again, pretending otherwise would be ridiculous—but dreams were dreams, regardless of where she rested her head at night and under whose roof.

She was on cloud nine by the time their first show in Austin arrived, as swift and as sharp as the first strum of the electric guitar at a heart-pounding rock concert. The weather was cool and breezy, they were surrounded by great company, and had downed just enough booze to get the night going without risking them falling on their faces as soon as they stepped onto the stage. At least, for Moxie's case, she was sure of her stability. Mick dramatically stubbed his toe in a questionable enough fashion that she had to second-guess the security of his state.

The Kings were front and center of the nepo baby roster, but some might even call them professionals on their best days.

"Watch out!"

A Capri Sun packet flew through the air like a comet shooting across the sky, landing perfectly in the palm of Mick's hand. He flipped it over and smiled at the familiar label. She was sure there had never been a more successful celebrity partnership in the history of Capri Sun's marketing. (On second thought, had there ever been another before Jun Nakagawa?)

"I told you to stop throwing that around before you stab someone in the eye with it!" Stevie scolded as she walked into the dressing room with Jun. The latter could barely speak because of how wide he was smiling. "You're lucky he's a good catch."

"Thanks, babe," Mick replied with his own cheeky smile.

"That's not what I meant."

"Sure it was."

Moxie held up one hand. Saying Jun once was all it took for him to magically pull another Hawai'i Cooler out of his pocket and send it flying in her direction. Just like her fellow King Sibling, she caught it with ease. Even if she hadn't wanted to drink a Capri Sun before her show, it was probably a good idea to drink anything else.

"Roxanne get you both situated?" Moxie asked before popping the straw into the pouch.

Stevie nodded as she hopped onto the chair next to Mick in front of the mirror while Jun opted for the other end of the sofa Moxie was currently lounging on. All of them were clothed with their slightly dressier outfits, the kind that was perfect for ruining during a concert. Their wardrobe designer had their work cut out for them on this tour. (The threat of Mick ripping his pants still loomed on the horizon.)

"Yup." There was still some time before the show started, and Stevie and Jun would have to wait even longer to join them for a surprise live performance of Ghosts from their second EP, but she tapped on the earpiece dangling from around her neck. "Though she asked me about fighting... Marty?"

Mick hid a laugh behind his hand. Moxie didn't bother.

"What about it?" he asked, as if it was a real thing that was happening. Wildest title card they would have ever seen.

"Well, she would win, obviously," Stevie said. "He's so top heavy, all she needs to do is trip him and it's game over, but I was just thrown off. I was showing her clips of Eddie and she was really into it so I thought she was, like, half serious about trying to fight him."