36

A few days later...

For a few days now, Hardin is not my Hardin anymore and I don't know what's happening. Why he changes all of a sudden? He comes home late, smelling like smoke, he doesn't text or call, he doesn't sleep with me in the same bed. I don't know what I did wrong, but I'm hurt. He promised me that if he will ever get bored of me, he will tell me directly. But it looks like he lied to me.

I will try my luck this night and I will make him talk and look at me. I hope I will have some good results. I miss him and I hope this will work. I'm wearing his favorite set of red lingerie and over it, I have just a transparent nightgown. So, finger crossed.

"Hardin?" I walk out of our room and he's ready to leave somewhere. "Where are you going?"

"I don't think you should care about this." He looks at me, but he doesn't even see what I'm wearing. What is wrong with him?

"Hardin... tell me what happened. Why are you treating me like this? What I did? Tell me, so I can fix my mistake!" I almost yell.

"What you did? Hmm, think better about this, Tessa."

"Are you cheating on me?" I hear myself talking before thinking. I look at him, but I can't see what he's thinking.

"Me? I would never cheat, Tessa! Maybe you are the one cheating."

"Excuse me?" I spit these words and I can't believe something like this.

"You're coming home tired from work and I wanted to do something with you, you were always tired! And this is a sign that you have someone. And I saw this, Tessa. Why you didn't tell me?"

"Tell you what?!" I yell. "I was tired. Working in a publishing is not that easy! And what did you saw, huh?!"

"You changed Tessa and we can't work like this!"

"I changed?! You are the one who changed. You're not home just at night, you don't talk with me. Tell me what do you want from me, now?!"

"I want to fuck you, then I want to leave!"

"Then you can just leave."

"Now, you're kicking me out off my apartment?" he laughs angrily.

"Now it's just your apartment?! What the fuck is wrong with you, Hardin?! Look at me!" I say and he doesn't look at me, so I walk to him. I put my hand under his chin and in this way, I make him to look at me. "What's happening with us, babe?"

"What's happening with us? You're falling for someone else and I'm not okay with that! Are you happy, now?"

"What?! What are you talking about?"

"I thought you stopped seeing him, Tess... Why you're going out with him!" Oh... I think I know what is he talking about...

"Hardin..." I sigh. "I told you for million times that Trevor is just a workmate. We're going out for lunch, nothing more! It's my only friend from the publishing. What do you want me to do? You want me to go every day to San Diego and have lunch with Nora? Or better, what if I should ask Candy to have lunch with me?!"

"I don't like him!"

"As you don't like him, I don't like Candy. So, we're even! He is just a fucking friend, Hardin! He knows very well that I have a relationship and that I'm in love with you. And for fuck sake's, I only want you!"

"You didn't show me this in the last weeks..."

"Because I was tired, you know I'm working my ass, so I can have longer holiday in July... Travelling in Europe. I promise to split my time and to be more careful with you."