The Announcement

Cello was on his hands and knees scrubbing the living room floor when a knock sounded at the door. He placed his scrubber in the wooden bucket filled with soap and water before standing up and heading to the front entrance. He opened it and was greeted by the royal messenger with a leather satchel filled with letters. He wore light fitted clothing and his cotton shirt had the royal crest embroidered on it. He held a single, sealed envelope in his hands.

"For the Clairmont residence, sir," the messenger said handing the letter to Cello. Once he took it, the messenger began walking towards his beautiful black Friesian horse. He mounted the horse and directed it back into town. Cello looked down at the letter which was sealed with the Queen's stamp. The front of the letter read "You are Cordially Invited" written in calligraphy. It seemed like a very important letter.

He made the trek through the house to deliver it to his stepfather. He and his stepbrothers were in the den smoking cigars when he knocked on the door. He hated the smell of tobacco smoke and hated the way the den smelled because of it. He also knew that his stepfather would be furious if he didn't deliver the letter posthaste.

"Enter," his stepfather called from the other side of the door. Cello opened it as smoke rushed out of the door and into his face. He could barely see in front of him but knew exactly where his stepfather was sitting. He felt Draven and Adam's eyes following him as he approached their father's chair.

"For the Clairmont residence, sir," Cello said, repeating what the messenger said to him. His stepfather took the letter from him and looked at it closely.

"An invitation!" he beamed and stood up. His sons perked up at the news and listened closely as their father began to open the sealed envelope. Cello wasn't dismissed so he stood where he was and listened too.

"What's it say, father?" Draven asked, eager to hear his father's words.

"You and your home are cordially invited to attend the Prince's masquerade ball this Saturday at 6 in the evening." He continued to read the letter. "There will be food, wine, music, and dancing to keep everyone entertained. The King and Queen especially look forward to seeing every eligible maiden in the kingdom attend."

"A party!" Adam cheered. "And wine!" Both he and Draven gave each other knowing looks.

"I'm excited about the food," Draven said. "Those royals really know their way around a buffet."

"The maidens are the important part of the invitation." Their father interjected. "It looks like they're still trying to marry off their son."

"Who cares?" Adam scoffed. "They'll all be there for him anyway."

"It's a masquerade ball, son," his father explained. "Everyone will be wearing a mask. No one will know who is who. And that gives you both a chance to find women of your own." Adam seemed to slightly cringe at that thought.

"That would be fun," Draven said, "that'll get women to know the real me inside."

"If they can find it from your outside," Adam laughed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Draven asked, offended that his brother would make such a comment.

"Boys settle down," Their father walked up to them. "This is a wonderful opportunity for everyone. If we can find wealthy women for you both, we'll be set again for life." Cello's heart dropped when he heard that comment. He had always expected it but to hear his stepfather say it now, confirmed it. He had married his mother for her money.

"I have grown accustomed living a life of luxury," Draven laughed while putting out his cigar.

"Upstairs, my boys," their father directed them. "We have no time to lose. We must get you in tip top shape if you're expecting to find wives. We must get you fitted for new clothing if you want to make an impression." Both men rose from their seats and headed out the door. Their father started to follow them before Cello softly cleared his throat. His stepfather stopped in his tracks, turning to face him.

"Speak," he said.

"I..." Cello tried to find the words. He was terribly nervous and his palms were sweaty. His stepfather always made him feel small when he looked at him. Cello fidgeted with his father's ring that was on his left hand. It was a silver band that housed his family name, Laurent. He twisted it back and forth on his third finger. There was a ring sized burn mark beneath it.

"Speak up!" his stepfather shouted at him.

"I would like to go as well." Cello finally got the courage to say. His stepfather grew silent, gears turning in his head before finally giving a haughty laugh. To think that his stepchild would even have the audacity to say such a thing, it made him laugh even more.

"You?" he questioned still laughing. Cello bowed his head. His face was flushed with heat before feeling a fire burn inside of him.

"Yes." He spoke louder, head up and looking at his stepfather in his eyes. "Yes, I would like to go as well to the masquerade ball." His stepfather tilted his head before stepping towards Cello, his dark eyes not leaving Cello's. He raised his right hand and used the back of it to strike Cello across his face. Cello fell to the ground with a thud. He didn't move where he landed.

"Sure," his stepfather said looking down on him. "You can go if you find something appropriate to wear." He began to walk towards the door. "The few items of clothing you own will hardly suffice. So good luck." He shut the door behind him while he laughed some more.

Cello picked himself off the ground and rubbed his cheek. Luckily his dark skin wouldn't show a prominent bruise and his short black beard of coarse hair would cover the rest. He was determined though. Determined to prove his stepfather and even himself wrong. He could do this. He would do this. He was going to that ball.