The Next Day

Gabriel used a finger to pet the ring in the palm of his hand. He didn't know what to do with himself. He hadn't slept that entire night. He couldn't get that man out of his head. He was completely charmed by him that he didn't even think to ask him his name. He was on the balcony where the man he adored left him in the blink of an eye. As if by magic. He looked out into the distance and thought to himself that his lover was somewhere out there. He didn't think that he'd be able to do anything until he found him.

There was a knock on the balcony doors. He turned to see both of his parents standing in the entryway and showing looks of concern. They knew that he hadn't slept or ate since the night before. Even though he was their only son, it was natural for them to worry. His cousins, Jonathen and Patrick, were on a ship heading back to Illium and his parents knew that Gabriel really could have used them right now. But honestly, Gabriel just wanted to be left alone.

"Son," his father began. He couldn't necessarily find the words he wanted to say. When he saw that man cascade down the stairs last night he saw as his son watched his every move. He saw his son push through the crowd to get to him. He didn't know how to approach the topic, of asking his son what he wanted out of love. He assumed he would easily find a woman to make his bride and give them multiple grandchildren. Now, he wasn't so sure, and he felt terrible by not reading the signs and actually listening to his son.

"Son," his mother also began. She felt the guiltiest between the two of them. She couldn't count how many times she threw a gathering in her son's honor in hopes of finding him a wife. She pressured him into attending them all, arguing with him every step of the way when he objected. She constantly told him she knew what was best for him. Thinking back on it, it seemed she only knew what was best for her.

Their son turned and looked back towards the horizon. Ships were docking and supplies were being delivered and received. They could faintly hear the commotion of the dockworkers diligently completing their jobs. The King and Queen walked towards their son and stood on both sides of him. He didn't look their way but continued looking out into the distance, possibly not even looking at all.

"Talk to us, dear boy," King Yusef finally broke the silence. The palm of his son's right hand was open and a silver band rested in it.

"What can I say, father?" the Prince spoke, shaking his head. "What do you want me to say?" He closed a fist tightly around the ring.

"We just want you to talk to us." Queen Moira told him. "What can we do to help?"

"Can you magically bring him back to me?" He scoffed. He didn't mean to sound angry, but he couldn't think of any other emotion to use at this point. He had given the order to the King's Guard to stop the man in white and gold, but somehow he evaded every single one of them. Those men could capture an eel slathered in oil with their bare hands, how had he managed to escape them? The guardsmen on horseback who followed his carriage came back empty handed. Captain Yu Ling reported that the only person they found was a poor farmer whose chickens had escaped their coop. They also didn't remember who they were ordered to go after. That made no sense to him, but he got exhausted of trying to think about it.

"So, he was a man?" his father asked, searching his son's face for confirmation. He only nodded and looked towards his feet.

"Why didn't you tell us, son?" his mother asked placing a delicate hand on his arm. "We're more open minded than you think. We could've easily helped you find someone else if you weren't interested in women."

"I didn't know I wasn't," the Prince chuckled. "I met a gorgeous man in the forest with his dog and he... he sparked something in me, but I pushed it down. Then I see this... this irresistible creature in our home and... and I had to have him." His parents were listening intently to their son and tried to provide support as he was vulnerable with him. "I don't know. Maybe I've always been this way and it only took me now to realize it." He opened his hand to pet the ring again. "I'm sorry if I disappointed you." His father's eyes grew wide. He placed both hands on his son's shoulders and turned the Prince to face him.

"Now you look at me, boy," King Yusef began. Gabriel met his father's eyes and saw that they were filled with tears. He had only ever seen his father cry twice and that was when his father's parents, Gabriel's grandparents, died. "You will never disappoint us. Ever. You have no idea how proud we are of everything you are. Everything!"

"You are compassionate, intelligent, you love freely, and we never taught you these things." His mother now stood beside her husband as they both spoke to him. "You are everything we could have ever hoped for in a child. The fact that you have fallen in love with a man does not change the fact that we love you very much."

"And we only want you safe and happy." His father continued. They both extended their arms and Gabriel walked into them. He felt like a kid again. He remembered times where he'd scrape his knee, fail an assignment for his studies, or just felt sad. His parents were always there to support and love him when he needed it. He needed it now more than ever.

"What will make you happy?" his mother asked him, wiping away the tears he now shed.

"I want to find him, mother," he told her. "I want to see if what we both felt was real. Or if it was just a dream. I must know."

"Then we'll find him," his father said. "No matter how long it takes."

"I don't even know how to start looking," Gabriel sighed. He was starting to really feel defeated.

"I think you do," his mother told him. She opened his hand and the ring sat safely in his palm. He smiled at her, knowing exactly what she was thinking. "We will find him."