chapter 4

“Noona I am hungry! Have you ordered my usual—Oh!” Nunew was unable to continue whatever it was he’s about to say, because the person who’s supposedly sitting at Hanni’s place was none other than Zee Pruk, right in the flesh with expression mirroring Nunew’s.

“W-What are you doing here? Where is Hanni noona?” he asked, internally shaking his initial shock in seeing the green haired boy inside the private room Hanni usually reserves for them.

Why the hell is he here? Am I ushered at the wrong room? Who is he with? Am I interrupting his date or something? Was there a mixup?

Before Zee could supply an answer to Nunew, Hanni already entered the room, pushing Nunew to sit across the other boy while she settled beside the idol.

“I’m here and I invited him,” Hanni said motioning SooHa to give them the menu, while she plied the two boys to choose whatever they want, forcing Zee to order something when he said he wasn’t hungry.

“But why did you invite him?”, Nunew subtly whispered, eyeing Zee in front of him warily, feeling totally uneasy being in close proximity with the older boy.

“Why not? He’s your fan and I think he’s a good person. I want to get to know him,” Hanni explained, not bothering to lower her voice and keep it as subtle as Nunew aimed to do.

“Noona!” Nunew said protesting, already embarrassed that he has to eat in front of Zee and now the other boy knew he’s uncomfortable in such situation.

“Dongsaeng, I invited him and he said yes. So I guess its okay. And besides, he’s almost around your age. You’re both familiar with each other since he always attends your activities. I saw you two interacting too. So what’s better than at least trying to get to know each other much better?” Hanni asked, glancing at Zee as if asking for confirmation. Nunew turned towards him as well and saw him shrug, smiling awkwardly at him and Hanni.

“So that’s settled then! Boys, lets or—“ Hanni was then interrupted by her phone ringing loudly inside her pocket. She glanced at both Zee and Nunew. “Oops! I need to answer this call. Nunu, just order whatever you like. Zee, we’re friends with the owner of this place so please eat comfortably.” Now turning to the petite girl watching their unique interaction with a smile, Hanni said “SooHa, dear, just take their order, don’t ever give them the bill. Thank you! I will be back!”

Like a hurricane that came and left, Hanni’s voice can no longer fill the room for Nunew and Zee. Both of them were left gaping at the door which the older woman exited, feeling like they were pushed towards the Lion’s den, both clueless and awkward with each other.

It was a saving grace that SooHa was there to fill in the awkward silence, asking them of their orders like the interaction between the two boys she’s with wasn’t comical to watch. The girl was professional, keeping a straight face and only smiling when necessary. But it wasn’t long until she had to go out and leave them alone to fend for themselves.

The echoes of their breathing and slight movements could be heard, magnifying the embarrassing tension between them.

Nunew feeling suffocated from the silence spoke after a minute.

“I’m sorry about Hanni noona. I don't know what she’s thinking by doing this,” Nunew whispered, voice low and eyes looking anywhere but Zee. “Doing what? Inviting me for lunch?”

Nunew glanced at Zee and nodded his head in response.

The older boy sighed good heartedly and chuckled. “Well it’s unusual to be invited like this but I am thankful for the opportunity actually,” Zee admitted honestly.