Full Hearts, Clear backpacks

Y/n POV

I was in class right now since summer was over. "All right gang, I'd ask you how your summer was, but since we spent it together, I know it was awesome." Mr Iglesias said to us. "It's like we never left." Mikey said. Then Lorenzo being Lorenzo he started being paranoid. "Whoa! You know, maybe we never did." Lorenzo said as he looked around the room as I looked at him confused. "The gum I put under here is still soft." Walt said and started chewing the gum that he took off from the desk making me gag in disgust while Lorenzo patted my back comforting. "And minty!" Walt said to Mr Iglesias. Marisol looked at him in disgust. "Disgusting, and yet not at all surprising." Marisol said to him. Walt then tipped his imaginary hat to her as Marisol did it back. "Oh, and by the way we have a new student joining us today. Y/n you might know her." Mr Iglesias said.

Just then the door opened and walked in is my cousin Jenna Riera. "Holy shit! You're actually here!" I yelled excitedly as I got up from my desk and hugged her. "Told you I'll see you soon." Jenna said as she let go of our hug. "Who are you?" Marisol asked her with jealousy in her voice. "My name is Jenna Riera." Jenna introduced herself. "She's my cousin." I finished for her as I gave Jenna a side hug. When I said that Marisol have her a warming smile and I swear I heard Marisol sighed in relief. "Well, Jenna you can sit behind Mikey." Mr Iglesias said. "No problem, tío." Jenna said as she went to her seat, as she went to her seat I see Mikey looking at Jenna with a lovesick look. I knew Mikey now has a crush on my cousin. I sat back down to my seat. "Anyways you guys did such a great job in summer school, it gave me an idea. I want our class to represent the school in this year's academic decathlon at the end of semester." Mr Iglesias said to us.

"That's what the honors students do." Mikey said. "Yeah. Well you could challenge them, and you could beat them. Who's in?" Mr Iglesias asked us. Nobody said anything but cricket noises coming from Grace's computer. "Nice one, Grace. I see you downloaded the heckler app." I said to her as she gave me a smile and went back to her computer. "Look, in all seriousness, you guys, you could do this if you really wanted to." Mr Iglesias said. "Exactly. If we wanted to." Lorenzo said. "We know you want us to thrive, Mr Iglesias, but we're happy just getting by." Walt explained to him making us all agree with him. "You should put that on a T-shirt, Walt," Mr Iglesias said. "Academic decathlon, Mr Iglesias? That's a rich kid thing. They have tutors. Their tutors have tutors. They live in two story Tudors with two-car garages, and get this, two parents." Marisol explained to us making me and Lorenzo look at her shocked at the two parents part.

"Look, I'm gonna take your zero interest as a hard maybe." Mr Iglesias said. Just then the door open and walked in Carlos carrying a box. "Good morning, Mr Iglesias. Students." Mr Hernandez said as he carried the box on Mr Iglesias desk. "Speaking of hard maybe." I said making Jenna laugh as I just playfully winked at her. "I come bearing gifts, and by gifts, I mean new rules." Mr Hernandez said to us. "Oh! There's nothing like the look on a kid's face on Christmas morning." Mr Iglesias said before he started to intimidate a child. "Look, mommy! Look what's in my stocking! A new rule!" Mr Iglesias said in a child's voice. "I pitched principal Madison the idea of creating a new position: school security czar." Mr Hernandez said as he button his suit making me confused as hell on why he button up his suit.

"Let me guess, you've nominated someone completely unqualified: yourself." Mr Iglesias said to him. "Precisely, and if all goes smoothly, principle Madison will allow me to place that position on my business card." Mr Hernandez explained. "Uh, what's a business card?" Lorenzo asked. "Something you'll probably never have." Mr Hernandez said to him. "Something no one under 40 will ever have." Jenna said to him. "Nevertheless, say hello to the linchpin of my security initiative." Mr Hernandez said as he took out a clear backpack and showed it to us. Now wait a damn minute that is called invasion of privacy. "Clear backpacks? What are you Gwen Stefani?" Mr Iglesias asked him. "I ain't no hollaback girl." Mr Hernandez said and then turned to Walt and held out his fist for a fist bump but Walt looked at him confused and shook his fist. "From now on all students are to use these so that contraband can be easily spotted." Mr Hernandez explained to us.