3 - Fleeing society

I began packing my supplies when I woke up the next morning. I grabbed a tote and stuffed my sleeping bag inside, along with my tiny one-person tent. I'd gone back country camping before, but this was going to be the most isolated I had ever been. When I'd gone kayaking in Whiteshell Provincial park, forty five kilometers south of Atikaki, I'd never been more than five kilometers from a campground or lodge. Where I was going now was a whole 'nother cup of tea--in Atikaki, there was absolutely nothing in the entire park, save for four backwoods lodges located around the edges of the park. I'd be truly alone. I'd be free, at least for a while.

    I'd bought several Backpacking meals for the trip. All I had to do was add a cup of boiling water straight into the package and wait five minutes, and I'd have a gourmet, thousand calorie meal waiting for me. I took them off of the pantry shelf and stuffed them into three dry bags. The dry bags were water-tight nylon sacks which I used to store everything from clothes to food--the last thing I needed was either my food or my clothes going moldy due to moisture exposure!

    I hefted the tote up and lumbered up the stairs out of the basement and set it down on the kitchen table. I opened up my water pouches and filled them from the tap, sealing them tightly afterwards.

   Tomorrow's the day!

    I opened the door to the garage and flicked on the light, illuminating the dusty room. I walked over to the far wall and looked up at my kayak, tied firmly to the rafters overhead. The mirror-smooth epoxy finish held my reflection in front of the underlying mahogany plywood. I reached up and fumbled the ropes off, and lifted the boat down from the wall, setting it down on the concrete. I ran back inside and grabbed the tote off of the table along with a box filled with various odds and ends. My clothes. Sunscreen and bug spray. My map of Atikaki.

    "Okay, here we go," I mumbled. I set them down next to my kayak and opened the hatches on either end of the boat. I began methodically packing all my supplies into the hatches, taking care to keep the boat balanced of course, then I lashed the hatches shut once again.

    I had two paddles, just in case I ended up losing one of them. I stuffed one into the cockpit, and slipped the other underneath a web of bungee cord that laced itself across the deck of the kayak. I stood back and stared at the boat, all loaded up and ready to go. I can't believe I'm actually gonna do this. I stared up at the ceiling and let out a sigh. I'd have two weeks to myself; I wouldn't have to worry about spending a weekend at my dad's for a whole month. Not that he'd want me back, anyway. Heck, I knocked the guy out.

    The guy is a dick. He's had that coming to him for years. I shook my head, trying to forget the man. I desperately hoped that while I was gone, my mind would be free of him--two weeks of freedom sounded like bliss.

    My phone buzzed in my pocket, and I reached down for it. It was a text from Nadie.

    "Hey you! You all ready to head out there?"

    I tapped the screen, typing out a message in response. "Yup. How 'bout you? You ready to head up north for a month?"

    My phone buzzed almost immediately with her reply. "Yup! Looking forward to getting out of the city! Leaving for the airport tomorrow!"

    "Well, enjoy. I'll miss ya! What'll you be doing up there, anyway?"

    "Catching up with family and friends, hunting, fishing, whatever. I'll be doing something that's important to me for a change!"

   "That's pretty cool. Have fun!"

   "You too. Stay safe out there! Don't let the wolves bite!"