16 - This new form

I was running again. I leapt off a rock and raced down a narrow pathway carved into the landscape, sprinting elegantly on all fours. I stopped and sniffed the air, testing for the scent of anyone else. The smell pollen greeted my nostrils, and I sneezed into the air. There was no other scent to be had.

I was alone.

"Anyone there?" I called out, listening to the silence around me. Why aren't I being chased? I'm always being chased in these dreams. What's going on?

"Where are you?" I called out, speaking to the grey wolf that had haunted my dreams, knowing that he must be somewhere nearby, even if I couldn't smell him. "I know you are there!!" I spun around, scanning the thicket for movement. I sniffed the air again, but found no one once again. "Where are you?"

Cool liquid poured over my lips, and I sputtered loudly in protest. My eyes snapped open and I jumped up unsteadily.

I threw my head from side to side, shaking the water off my face. Spike stood in front of me, holding a chewed-up water bottle in his jaws. He opened his mouth and dropped it at my feet.

"Thank goodness! You'd been out for two days already!"

I didn't answer him. Instead, I looked down, inspecting the sight before me. My hands and feet had changed into fur-covered paws. I lifted up my left hand--paw--and stared at it. The palm of my hand had been replaced by a black, calloused foot pad, as had the bottoms of my fingers.

"You okay?"

I ignored Spike again, and twisted my head around to look at my sides. Light brown, almost blonde fur covered me from head to toe, cloaking me in an inch thick coat. Behind me, a tail stretched out, hanging down from my back. On my right arm, a tiny set of hairless scars dotted themselves around my limb, in the same place that I'd been bitten. I turned around on my paws in a tight circle, testing my feet. I fell flat on my muzzle.

"Ouch," I muttered, hearing my new voice for the first time. I don't sound any different. To me, I sounded exactly the same as I ever had. "Ouch," I mumbled again, listening to the word. I crawled back up and took a few shaky steps away from Spike, trying to balance myself on my new legs.

Spike laughed softly behind me. "It'll take some getting used to."

"Yeah, I'll bet." I croaked out my words, then coughed, trying to clear my throat. I ended up coughing out through my nose. I guess that's another thing that I'll be doing differently now.

"Hey, don't sound so glum! You're still here, alive and kicking!" I turned to see Spike wagging his tail happily. "You did it, man! You survived the change! I knew you would! You're strong!"

I turned away from him and walked to the edge of the island. I peered cautiously into the waves, afraid of what I would see.

A wolf stared back at me, mimicking my every move. I blinked my eyes, and my reflection blinked back at me.

A long muzzle protruded from my face, tipped with a black nose. My fur changed from blonde to white on my muzzle, and several short, black whiskers twitched out from just behind my nose. Two triangular ears stood up on my head, covered with a thin layer of fur. I heard Spike moving behind me, and my ears instinctively swiveled around in response to the noise.

The only thing that hadn't changed about my face were my eyes. The were still an icy blue, but they were now surrounded by glossy black eyelids.

I walked back to Nadie's canoe, parked next to my torn-up kayak. I could smell the food inside, and I was absolutely ravenous. I stepped into her boat and sniffed a bag lying on the hull. Her scent washed through my senses, along with another scent that made my mouth water.