Chapter 19: Over A Cup of Coffee

CONTENT AND TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains depictions of death that may be upsetting for some readers. Please be mindful of this sensitive theme and other possible triggers. Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading.

 Remember to practice self-care before, during and after reading

ALISTAIR

WORDS COULD not express how glad I was to see Lorelei again. It had not been that long, but it felt like ages. Mas maaliwalas na ang mukha niya ngayon kumpara noong huli ko siyang nakita sa Manila. Hindi na rin mabigat ang aura sa paligid niya. Maybe Tito Walter made the right decision of sending her to Pampanga after all.

"Its been a while, hasn't it?" My lips curled into a smile as I offered my right hand to her. "Sorry kung hindi ako nakapag-reply. Nagkaproblema sa network signal ang phone ko."

"I-It's okay." She got up and shook my hand gently. "Mabuti nga't safe kang nakarating dito."

We did not usually do handshakes since we were already friends, but I felt like I was reintroducing myself to her.

"And this must be . . ." My eyes squinted at the guy seated next to her. Our eyes met. Malamlam ang mga mata niya na tila wala siyang pakialam sa nangyayari sa paligid niya. Tahimik siyang nakaupo na parang estatwa roon. Then he got to his feet. I stood a few inches taller than him.

"He's Loki, my classmate," Lorelei gestured to him, "and my boyfriend."

Boyfriend? I tried to hide the look of surprise on my face by smiling. That was an unexpected update from her. Hindi malabong magkaroon siya ng boyfriend. But the timing was a little bit off. If it had been months or years since that incident, it would not have seemed suspect to me.

"Oh, it's my pleasure to meet you! You're a lucky guy to win Lori's heart." I offered my hand to Loki next. "I'm Alistair Ravena, her childhood friend and ex-classmate."

"I'm Loki Mendez." He smiled at me—which I sensed was forced—as he shook my hand. His grip was not that strong. "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

There's one way to find out whether this was a stunt or not.

"Do you mind?" Loki tried to pull his hand away from mine, but I grabbed his wrist. My two fingers searched for his pulse as I kept on observing his face. His gray eyes—that were devoid of any emotions just a minute ago—came to life. That move startled him.

"You really are Lorelei's boyfriend, aren't you?" I asked calmly. Tell me the truth.

He looked down at his wrist before raising his gaze at me again. Nanlaki ang mga mata niya na tila napagtanto kung ano ang binabalak kong gawin. Catching him off guard would make him tell me more through his microexpressions.

"Yes, I am," he confirmed. His pupils dilated and his pulse elevated. "Do you have any problem with that?"

I smirked as I finally let go of his hand. Nakuha ko na ang impormasyong gusto ko. Bumuntonghininga ako at bumaling kay Lorelei. "I'm glad that you chose a good guy, Lori."