In Medias Res

Author's notes:

Word count for this part is 264. Just adding this because the notes ended up getting very long.

I used the #ONC2023 writing prompt number 42: The hero finally gets an opportunity for revenge, but it comes at the cost of something meaningful to them.

I want to say that I had some many prompt choices that I had a hard time picking the right one out. Instead, I gave the choice to my nephews and niece, and ultimately, the prompt got picked out of the hat as my choice. Thank you to my nephew N for your great help. I hope I can do it honorably.

A note on the main character's name. This is not a fanfiction piece centered around The Little Mermaid, either by Hans Christian Anderson OR by Disney. I picked the name 'Ariel' from the Old Testament of the Bible for probably one of the worst reasons in naming a character (it is a name I would use for my daughter).  It is Hebrew in Origin, based on my research, and means 'Lion of God' - however, if you know of its use in another culture and another meaning for it, please feel free to share it. Perhaps that meaning would add another layer of characterization for me and for the reader. 

Above all, thank you for reading, and I am truly humbled. I sincerely hope you enjoy reading.

-------------

In Medias Res

---------------

"You don't understand. I spent five years in the worst hell hole of a prison on this planet, and I spent those five years wishing I had this opportunity," Ariel said, slamming the pan she scrubbed into the sink.

"You're right, I don't understand," Lee said. "I don't understand how you have walked your whole life with your feet between two peoples. I don't understand being wrongly convicted of a crime."

"Murder, Lee. I went to trial, confessing my innocence for the murder of a man. I didn't take the plea deals because I was innocent and I was convicted of a crime I didn't commit but Marisol did."

"And I can't understand what you have gone through because of it," Lee said. "But I know what you stand to lose, Ariel. You go through with your plan; you will lose me. You will lose your son. Because of your conviction, should you get caught, then it's very likely you will be back in that hell hole.

"All the work that you have done, the rehab, the halfway house. The business we have built together – the government won't let me take Ian; I am not legally his father. And you think that Saul can raise a child in his condition."

"Saul's never been able to raise a child," Ariel said.

Lee lowered his voice. "Please, think about that," he said, more gently than he had been. "Please, think about how much your son needs you, how much I need you. And then think about how willing you are to shred our family apart."