Chapter Seven

870

______

 Ariel and Lee left in the predawn hours, confident that, for the most part, the arguments and problems that beset the day wouldn't happen. How could it, with a beer in one hand and a fishing pole in the other – and a companion with which to chew the fat off another old tale in remembrance.

This stolen, sweet moment. The sea plane roared to life under Lee's skilled hands, and for those first intrepid seconds, Ariel remembered the exact moment she realized that she loved this man.

That it had been in a cockpit had a lot to do with that memory. They were alone, as they were now – oh, this was years ago, when Lee first took Ariel up with a brand new pilot's license and water still pouring out from behind his ears.

She had been above seven thousand feet, but never in a cockpit, having spent her time in the depths of the water. But the thrill of the moment – to soar in the same space as the birds, and to be able to look down. To see roads as lines, to see the property delineation from the air.

And then to look up at the sky and see the dawn. To see the perfect light of the sky edge itself slowly over the horizon and spread the radiance meant to rule the day.

Lee tapped the headphones she wore about her neck and not her ears. Ariel put them on.

"I love you," Lee said, glancing at her.

"I love you," she repeated, meaning every word of it from the depths of her heart.

"I don't feel like I have been saying it enough," Lee said. "I feel like life is getting in our way, and we haven't been able to be just us, except for those moments before bed.

"I like those moments before bed," Ariel said.

Lee slid his hand into hers and squeezed her hand, gently.

"I know one of your love languages is touch, but even then, I feel like its not been enough," Lee said. "I know you are worrying about your dad."

Ariel gave a half nod. "I can't do it without you, Lee," she said. "There is a strength in you I need, but I can't leave him. Not without answers or knowing what to do -."

"Ariel, I'm not leaving," Lee said. "I can't imagine you going through what he puts you through alone, and half the time, I am not even sure I am strong enough to help you lift the burden."

"He's not your dad," Ariel said.

"No, but the day I married you, Searlas became a real part of my family," Lee said. "Searlas and beautiful boy."

Lee fell quiet and Ariel struggled not to fill the space with meaningless. She felt his hand envelope hers and that was enough; she watched him, the slightest muscles twitching in his arm and hand, making the almost seamless course corrections as they continued their flight.

Then his hand fell away as the air traffic control came on, and he did his thing as Lee prepared to enter the bay and land.

Ariel breathed, listening to the knowledge in his voice, and held on to the deep knowing that she loved the lyrical qualities of his voice.

"I'm sorry I got interrupted," Lee said, after he landed and went through final check. "I wanted to say something important to you."

"You said 'I love you'," Ariel said, a smile playing at her lips. "Was there something more important than that."

Lee spun his chair to face her, leaning over his knees. "I love you, and I love Ian. From our very first date, I knew that you and that boy were a package deal, regardless of where he was born and who his father is."

Ariel stood, wrapping the cord for her headset. "His father isn't involved and never has been."

"I want to be his father," Lee said. "We talked about it, intermittently. To be honest, by a lot of standards, we didn't have a long courtship or dating period."

"By a lot of standards, you took a damn awful long time to admit something was between us," Ariel said.

"Yeah." Lee licked his lips. "I want to adopt Ian. I want to make it all official. I want him to feel like he belongs. To both of us, that he has a place and a name."

"Lee, Ian is part human. And yes, I had him tested, just to be sure how much of what is human in me was passed on and to know if I had anything to worry about."

"We won't worry," Lee said, placing his hands on her side.

"I'm not worrying," Ariel said. She sighed, stepping closer into his embrace. She reached up and gently cupped his face. "Ian is a child of two worlds. We can go forward with the adoption, but that isn't going to change that to a great deal of people, my son is not fully one or the other. I'm not fully one or the other."

Lee shook his head, leaning over to kiss her. "I wouldn't have it any other way."