Chapter Nine

1751

_____

Marisol stood before the massively huge painting in the den, staring at the gaudy colors. She had several unanswered questions floating in her mind, the first of which why her husband felt it appropriate to have hanging here a copy of the famous painting of Vlad Impere.

This print in question depicted was what consider a 'typical' pastoral-style scene for Nereid. A protected bay where Nereids in various stages of being in their tails frolicked in the waves and water of the ocean, while sea faring humans looked from afar, pointing and jeering.

She never liked that the majority of the Nereids depicted her naked women and children, and many commentators on this drawing, especially in the gender studies of the equation, often described the scene as the Nereids being the feminine, while the humans were seen as the masculine. The rape of a people by those who could overpower them.

Well, Marisol was done watching her people be raped. She was done being marginalized, and considered less than by everyone involved.

She wanted so desperately to set the print on fire and with it, burn down the patriarchy.

But it wasn't time yet. The moment was ripening and soon she would be able to see the end of her efforts, but for a moment longer she would have to wait.

Marisol found the hidden switch and swung the print from the wall. Now she did not have to look at it, which was preferable anyway. She would rather the stone walls to look at most days, even if the stone was actually dyed concrete rather than real stone. It also exposed the safe.

She pressed her fingers to the biometric lock, listened as the tumblers aligned and fell out of place and swung the door open.

Now, usually, Marisol paid no mind to what Kent had in the safe. She knew there were a few military pieces, a revolver, some jewelry kept more for sentimental reasons than anything else – the shape and style was dated and meant for his previous wife than for her.

Besides, she didn't want there to be any reminder of the dead woman, even if she saw this marriage as being more for convenience. More for Kent's money, and more importantly, what she could do with it.

The box she wanted, however, was gone.

There wasn't a way that she could miss a box of that size in the safe; the three shelves held only papers. Two manila folders that held important documents like vehicle titles and insurance forms. Their marriage certificate, property deeds and so forth.

No, the little metal box two inches deep, several inches wide and long was completely missing.

Marisol went to search the desk, pulling open the drawers with a deft swiftness, taking her time, though, to thoroughly search the drawers. The box wasn't here, either.

"You're looking for something," Neu said, strolling into the room from the patio, his scales dripping with the convergence of water. "Where's the money?"

"Unfortunately, I don't know," Marisol said, standing slowly. "It was here the last I was aware, the day before you came."

Neu lowered himself onto the wooden chair.

"Perhaps your husband has ears in the replica of a poor assed grotto, and we need to conduct our business elsewhere," Neu said. "You promised me that you would get me anything I financially needed. I told you I need ten thousand."

Marisol returned to the safe and picked up the velvet bag on the shelf.

"Unless you want a check, unfortunately, this is what you get," Marisol said, dumping the gold chains and bracelets on the coffee table before Neu.